Cord type for electric snow blower

Old 11-01-16, 08:09 AM
Cord type for electric snow blower

I'm looking at an electric snow blower that requires an outdoor-rated extension cord. I see two options for cords generally available - SJTW and SJEOW. The SJEOW is about $25 more than the STJW. I understand that the SJEOW is oil-resistant (not really an issue) and will have better flexibility in the cold. But will it make that much of a difference? Getting below 0F would be unusual here.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-16, 11:56 AM
The designation SJTW is broken down as follows: S=hard service cord. J=junior, meaning not as tough as S alone, rated at a maximum of 300 volts to ground vs. 600 volts to ground for type S alone. Also means the insulation is thinner and therefore more subject to damage. T= thermoplastic insulation. Plastic insulation gets stiff in cold weather making the cord hard to coil and causing it ti knot up in use. W=for use in wet environments.

I don't know what E designates and I'm too lazy to look it up. I suspect that it is still plastic but perhaps one a little more flexible.

My preference would be for type SOOW which would have a heavier outer jacket and all rubber insulation. It is definitely more expensive but it is SO much easier to work with, coiling up nicely in the coldest of weather. The heavier jacket also is more protection against damage.

Whatever insulation type you select, be SURE to get a large enough gauge for the load and the distance. I personally will not even own an extension cord of less than 12 gauge and the longer ones I have are 10 gauge. Long lengths and too small a gauge contribute to excessive voltage drop and THAT kills electric motors.

FWIW, I have a lousy extension cord unless I tossed it that has type T insulation. Even in 60 degree weather that cord would not coil for sour apples. Pure garbage in my opinion.

Old 11-01-16, 02:32 PM
The E is "thermoplastic-elastomer construction," which is presumably what gives it better cold weather flexibility. And to be honest I can't really tell a difference between SJEOW and SJTW. Heck, some SJTW cords are being marketed as "cold weather," though the only difference I see is that they're blue.

I'm finding SOOW cord online, but not with plug ends, just raw.

Old 11-01-16, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
That is correct.
Rubber cord is purchased off a reel and you add your own male and female caps.

The many types of SO cord appears confusing,
but the varieties can be deciphered by an industry key:
S = Service cord
J = Junior service cord
O = Oil-resistant outside jacket
OO = Oil-resistant both inside insulation and outside jacket
W = Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) designation for weather and water resistance
T = Thermoplastic
E = Elastomer

Old 11-01-16, 05:24 PM
Guess that explains why I can't find it.

So if there are two cords, both 12 gauge, both 100 feet long, both SJTW, and one says "low temperature cord" and the other doesn't... is there really a difference? Or is it all just marketing?

Old 11-01-16, 05:43 PM
Just about any cord will start, really need a 100' cord.
This one will do the job and remain flexable.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-2...n-Cord/3203691