How to stop shaft from spinning when replacing bump knob murray weedeater, video

Old 11-02-16, 09:09 PM
How to stop shaft from spinning when replacing bump knob murray weedeater, video

Friend has a murray m2500 weedeater and he lost the bump knob. I went to HD and got a replacement for $10, but when i screw it on, the entire shaft starts rotating, which wont let it screw all the way down.

Is there a way to stop the shaft from spinning while i am removing/installing the bump knob to add string? I have to pull the arm apart and jam a screwdriver into the other end of the shaft to stop it from rotating while i screw the knob on. Surely there is a better way to do it?

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_aQH_-Kag

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-16, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is a keyway on top of the unit where you can insert something like an allen wrench once the hole is aligned with the slot to keep it from turning.

Old 11-03-16, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, look for a little hole in the casting above the trim head. That's where you stick an Allen wrench, drill bit or small screwdriver to prevent the shaft from turning.

Old 11-03-16, 04:27 PM
Thanks.

This one didn't have a slot anywhere, but I figured out what the problem was... the large part of the head that normally stays attached to the weedeater has a hex shaped hole on the bottom that is supposed to lock the shaft in place while you unscrew the bump knob, but the plastic had worn down so it would no longer grip the hex head of the shaft to keep it from moving.

Old 11-04-16, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Boy, even the steel nut is well worn. I'd replace it along with getting a new head.

Search this Thread