Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn boy silver series governor

11-15-16, 02:45 PM   #1  
Lawn boy silver series governor

Some dummy (OK, me) replaced the carburator on my lawn boy. Unfortunately, I did it over a winter and thought I remembered the governor linkage, but did not. Yes, I know, take pictures. Sigh... It's a lawn boy 10302 4.5 HP with a Tecumseh TVS115 57905E. It has the snap on speed control.

So there is a hard linkage that goes to the carburator. The other side goes to the governor. There is a spring that goes from the governor, to the adjustable (well, bending tabs) speed control. The other side of this goes to the throttle cable.

Two questions. Which governor hole does the spring attach to? And which governor hole does the carb butterfly lever attach to?

One final question. So I did not have to take the carb off every time I moved the linkages, I took the screw off the governor linkage, moved the spring and the carb linkage and then reattached the screw. Does this have a calibration that is needed, or is removing the screw and putting it back OK to do?

Basically, the engine runs right now, but the governor is not working correctly when the mower goes under load.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-15-16, 03:16 PM   #2  
You should be able to see your configuration here:
Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Tecumseh Series 11 Carburetor

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-15-16, 03:28 PM   #3  
Unfortunately, my linkage does not look anything like what that shows. Well, the carb linkage does, but my carburator has the speed control that mounts to the top of the carb which has a spring going to the governor connection.

Last edited by N3kf99; 11-15-16 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

11-15-16, 03:35 PM   #4  
This is a link to what the speed control looks like, but it does not show what the positions on the governor should be for the spring and linkage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tvs1...OKEdCmIdWNM%3A

Last edited by N3kf99; 11-15-16 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

11-15-16, 03:51 PM   #5  
hard to see but...the pic on the right help?

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-15-16, 04:06 PM   #6  
On the link you provided, click on images and there are tons of pictures of the setup showing the ends of the linkages. Is yours not pictured among them? Here is one of them:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MR...138_tvs115.jpg

The linkage with the spring goes to the throttle lever and the solid linkage goes to the throttle shaft on the carb.

God bless!

11-15-16, 04:08 PM   #7  
I really need a side shot since the governor lever has 4 holes in it. I guess I could try ask combinations, but that seems like a waste of time.

11-15-16, 04:20 PM   #8  
Every picture I have seen does not have the "snap in speed control" that my engine has. The image shown here is different as it's a connection to a lever. Also, mine is set as the picture and the governor does not keep a steady engine speed under load. Governor was working fine before carb swap, so logic says it's the linkage......

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-15-16, 06:10 PM   #9  
Yes, there are 4 holes in the governor arm, the stiff linkage goes in the top one and the spring normally goes in the next hole down. The other end of the stiff linkage goes to the throttle shaft and the other end of the spring rod goes to the hole in the speed control.

God bless!

11-15-16, 07:42 PM   #10  
Thanks cheese. That is the way that it is set now. The governor is not working. As soon as you start mowing, the RPMs drop down. I know one of the two connections was in the bottom hole. And I thought the other was right above it, but that did not work. The engine speed was too low. It looks like I probably need to reset the governor. Sounds like loosen the governor screw and push the butterfly wide open then tighten screw. I talked to a local Tecumseh repair place and he said you are basically screwed if you did not take a picture. He said everyone he repairs has the linkages in different holes for the same model. Sigh....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-15-16, 10:45 PM   #11  
No, it's not some mystery combination, he just doesn't understand how it works.
Put them in the holes I described, then put the butterfly wide open like you said with the governor arm clamp bolt loosened and then turn the governor shaft counter-clockwise as far as it will go and tighten the clamp bolt while making sure the arm nor the shaft move out of this position. This will reset the governor.

God bless!

11-25-16, 02:13 PM   #12  
Thank you cheese. That seemed to work. It seems like it might be running a little slow. I don't have a tach for a lawn mower. I assume I can adjust the speed a bit by adjusting the snap in speed control. Although better a bit slow then fast.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-25-16, 05:59 PM   #13  
Increase tension on the spring that is connected to the short linkage to increase engine rpm.

God bless!

11-27-16, 09:12 PM   #14  
This has the snap in speed control. You just bend the tabs to increase or decrease speed. Essentially does what you said. Running good. Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-27-16, 10:08 PM   #15  
Yeah, not being very familiar with which setup you have, I just described increasing tension on the spring, however you have to accomplish it. Normally you'd bend the tab that the end of the spring connects to away from the governor arm. Glad you got it going!

God bless!

Search this Thread