New governor crank and bushing

Old 11-21-16, 11:35 AM
New governor crank and bushing

I have a Craftsman riding lawnmower with a B& S engine (Model 331977-0010-G1). The engine locked up on me a month ago and I thought I would try to see if it was fixable (since it would be worthless any ways, what could I hurt). Appears the damage was the connecting rod had shattered and the governor crank was bent. I ordered a new connecting rod and installed it and the engine hand turns smoothly. However the bent governor crank has given me heart burn. I removed the crank (part# 692012) and bushing (part# 697144) and ordered new from B&S. How do you get the crank into the bushing? I have oiled the crank and tried hand pushing and lightly tapping with hammer. And I would think I need to install the crank into the bushing before installing the bushing into the engine housing.?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-16, 12:06 PM
The crank installed into the bushing should be a slide on fit, not pressed on. You may not have it aligned just right. The bushing into the casing would be a pressed fit.

Check the fit of the bushing on the crank. If it doesn't turn easily it may be too tight to get lubricant.