Snowblower suddenly stopped working

Old 11-29-16, 07:31 PM
Snowblower suddenly stopped working

I inheirited my dads 1983 John Deere 826. Last year I put on new belts and installed a new carb on it. It has been running great.

Well up in the Dakota's we are experiencing a 3 day snow event. I blowed for 3 hours yesterday with no issues. Today I have another 8" of snow to deal with and the snowblower started flawlessly. I let it warm up for a minute and began blowing the snow. After only 10' feet the motor quit and I heard an audible clink clink clink noise coming from the engine.

I gave the cord a few pulls and it spun freely with the audible clinking noise coming from the engine. However it feels like the engine is not turning over as I don't get any popping, sputtering, or any engine related startup hope.

I looked at all the belts and they appear fine. I engaged the auger and pulled the cord. The auger moves and burps out some snow from the chute.

Is this thing ready for the scrap heap, or is their still hope?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-16, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Oh wow.... that sounds like maybe a broken rod. Did it have oil in it ?

You can pull the spark plug and using a flashlight..... look in the port while pulling the starter rope and see if the piston is moving.

Old 11-29-16, 08:30 PM
I'm afraid your suspicions may be correct.

Before I started the 3 hours of blowing yesterday I checked the oil level. I remember it being adequate. After further inspection tonight, I barely got any oil to register on the dipstick, just the very tip.

For the sake of curiosity I pulled on the rope and I didn't see the piston bounce up and down. I did see something off the side of the hole go up and down in lieu of the clink noise.

It looks like the shovel will be my friend for awhile.

Last edited by truth; 11-29-16 at 08:59 PM.