Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Broken valve ring

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-23-01, 08:25 PM   #1  
I have a 5 hp Tecumseh engine with what I believe to be a broken valve ring. I have no compression and the pull string will stick after a few pulls. Is it possible to fix this? Or will I spend more time and money than what it is worth. I pulled the head and the only clean spot is under the exhaust valve. It looks like where the ring used to be.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-24-01, 08:52 PM   #2  
Hello Michael and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

What I think you mean is the valve seat <ring> came loose or out. If this is the case, yes it can be fixed if all else is fine and no engine damage has occured.

Valve seats are pressed into place. I have never found one that popped out. Since the seat requires special tools and work to install, I suggest you get the opinion on a small engine shop owner who can visually see the engine.

Weather it will be worth the costs to fix or replace the engine is based on the same. New engine costs verus repair costs of the existing engine.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Search this Thread