Tecumseh snowblower engine troubles

Old 12-20-16, 11:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh snowblower engine troubles

Hello All,

New to the forum, and I need some help.

I have a Yard Machines (MTD SnowKing?) snowblower with a Tecumseh 5.0hp engine. I cannot find the engine model number, unfortunately. It is 11 years old, I am the only owner, and for the most part it does its job well. A couple years ago it started acting up, and has gotten progressively worse. I'll describe what it is doing now.

- Starts fine, then almost immediately chokes out and stops.

- Takes many pulls on the rope to get it started again, then chokes out and stops again as soon as I put any load on it such as engaging the auger even in an open area.

- Will stay on and generally work well if I let it warm up for several minutes doing nothing.

- Will often choke out and stop when I get to anything moderately heavy in the snow.

- When I go to restart, sometimes it helps to re-engage the choke, sometimes it doesn't matter. But it always takes several pulls on the rope.

I replaced the spark plug last week, and that seemed to help a little bit, but not entirely.

I am pretty good with my hands and with tools, but I am a tragedy when it comes to carburetors, just so you know. Anything other than maybe spraying some cleaner on and in a carb, I'd be better off just replacing it.

I can check on the engine model number if someone can direct me where to look, but I turn that thing upside down and sideways and saw nothing.

Thanks.

Old 12-20-16, 11:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Post the model number of the snowblower and I should be able to get your engine info.

I think I might start with valve adjustment if OHV, then checking compression.

Old 12-20-16, 11:47 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Mix about 4oz Seafoam in a pint of gas and run it for about 10 minutes then let it set for 30 minutes then run out the rest of the mixture, the seafoam will dissolve any built up varnish and may save you having to remove and clean the carb. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-21-16, 11:53 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yeah, me too. Good advice
Sid

Old 01-01-17, 06:36 PM
B
Did that today. Seems to have helped, running smoother at least. When I fired it up the second time it still died immediately and I had to do it again. I let it run out, though and it was smooth the whole time.

I did not put gas in it afterward, so now it is just sitting there drained and empty.

Old 01-01-17, 06:44 PM
B
I found the info.

Tecumseh Motor model #: LH195SA

MTD Snowblower model #: 31A-6ACE700

Thanks.

p.s.: How does one include a quote when replying to a specific post?

Old 01-02-17, 07:26 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
If I found the correct carb the bowl nut is the main jet and is usually the problem there is a tiny hole near the top that is almost invisible, I clean it with the wire from a twist tie, you might clamp off the fuel line remove the bow nut and clean it then see how it runs, if it still doesn't run below it a link for cleaning the whole carb. Have a good one. Geo

Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Tecumseh Series 1 Emission Carb 640084B

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: