Starter rope broke - Craftsman 22" snowblower

Old 12-18-16, 08:35 AM
Starter rope broke - Craftsman 22" snowblower

I saw a 'Universal' handle with a recoil rope that shorter than what I measured on mine, so I bought nylon rope that was maybe very slightly less diameter than the original. I installed it, but there's about 14" of extra slack. It starts fine, in fact it was still in my SUV after bringing it yesterday to a friend's house - didn't prime it but it started on the first pull. The original appeared to have stretched, about 7". I wonder did I not install the recoil rope correctly, or should I just remove the excess at the handle? Maybe I measured the original too long, and was stretched and weak.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-16, 09:40 AM
You probably didn't coil the spring up enough times to withdraw all of the perceived excess into the starter. One or two more loops will take up your excess.

Old 12-18-16, 10:02 AM
True, that would have been the best thing to do. I ended up cutting some off at the handle. If I run into trouble again I will go around a few more times with new rope since I have it on hand. With the original rope I measured (estimated since it broke) ~6 feet.

Old 12-18-16, 10:16 AM
We probably only use the first 36" to 42" or so anyway; but you don't want the handle dangling around loose to get entangled in other components.

I suppose the extra bit allows us to re-tie a new knot the first time or two that it breaks, without having to go out and procure more nylon twine.

Old 12-18-16, 01:33 PM
"We probably only use the first 36" to 42" or so anyway"... did not realize that. I went back and made another knot, it's not real tight but at least it's not dangling.

Good point re: some extra, may be able to reuse the rope that's on the recoil. The timing could have been worse, at least I got my driveway done, about half of the one I was doing. Not easy pushing it up pickup truck ramps into my SUV with no power though! I had to take the insurance off the truck for a while. It almost fit in a Subaru Forester (with handles down of course) completely intact - just had to take the top of the chute off.