Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I use Castrol GTX 5w-30 in my Craftsman snowblower?

ME

12-31-16, 08:38 PM   #1  
Can I use Castrol GTX 5w-30 in my Craftsman snowblower?

I'm new to yard equipment and also snowblowers. Last year I bought a Craftsman 24 inch, 2 stage, 208cc snowblower. I have never changed the oil in the first season and have used it now once this season. I know, that's most likely not a good thing, but I'm new to all of this and I just read you should change it after the first 5 hours. Luckily, I may not have too much over that time of use with it, but of course now it's time to change the oil!

So, after a little research on the internet I found out that you can use just regular car oil in a snowblower (5w-30?). Am I right? So, tonight I went out to Wally and bought 3 bottles of Castrol GTX 5w-30 motor oil, being of course naive and didn't realize that I only need 1 quart!

So is Castrol GTX ok to use? My owners manual says something about meeting SG and SF certifications, but I'm not sure I see those on the bottle. What does that mean?

Thanks
Hopefully tomorrow I can change my oil!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-01-17, 02:22 AM   #2  
If 5w-30 is the specified weight of oil that is recommended for your engine, then yes, you can use that to change the oil.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

01-01-17, 03:59 AM   #3  
Brian, in #W-30, the 30 represents viscosity at normal operating temperature so any "30 weight" oil will be the same when the engine is warm. The W is "Winter" viscosity or how well the oil flows in cold weather. That is, how easily it starts or turns-over before the engine (and oil) gets warm. 5W is safe to -22F so you should be fine. For your mower, use 10W-30. For equipment where you mix oil and gas, use 2-stage oil - non-marine.

One last point, if you keep the snowblower in a place where temps get below -22F, consider 0W-30.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-01-17 at 04:25 AM.

VA

01-01-17, 05:09 AM   #4  
Make sure the engines warmed up before changing, or more of the old oil will be left behind.
Make 100% sure not to overfill it, that can damage the engine.
Smaller HP engines may not even take a full Qt.
Remove the dipstick if there is one or the full cap while draining so it does not form a vacuum when draining.

TN

01-01-17, 10:41 AM   #5  
API Code

My owners manual says something about meeting SG and SF certifications, but I'm not sure I see those on the bottle. What does that mean?
API Engine Oil Classification

Look at the "donut" under the blue Mustang on the right side of the photo.

ME

01-01-17, 05:18 PM   #6  
Wow good thing I changed the oil! It was BLACK! I've only used it a little last winter plus one storm this winter. I used Castrol 5w-30 and it's now running great!

I think I'm gonna keep up on my maintenance from now on!

Thanks

Search this Thread