MTD mower hydraulic issue: winter task

Old 01-02-17, 04:52 AM
MTD mower hydraulic issue: winter task

Need to get busy on this, hopefully get resolved before spring.

Have an MTD commercial 60" walk behind mower.

The set up has the 17HP Kawasaki engine driving a hydraulic pump that feeds fluid to the drive pumps/hubs at each wheel.

Toward the end of this past season one drive wheel was not functioning as well as the other. Even with that wheels speed throttle on full (fast) it was going slower than the other but after a couple of minutes it would start operating normal and then run fine.

In the spring I flushed, refilled, and installed new fluid so I'm confident it's not a contamination issue plus it ran fine for 5 months.

The fact that the condition is only for the first few minutes has me puzzled, not really enough time for the fluid/pumps to heat up.

Would like to get some thoughts on what might be the issue so I can look into this before spring!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-17, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
I would be looking at the hydraulic motor. Since the other wheel is driving at it's normal speed I assume the pump is working properly. That leaves the speed control and the motor. If you have a hydraulic repair shop in your area they could check the motor out for you or you could try swapping your left and right hand side motors and see if the slowness moves to the other side.

Old 01-02-17, 06:58 AM
Hello Marq1,

Work'n for a MTD/Cub dealer, I haven't seen a commercial WB with a single hydro pump operating both a right and left wheel motor.

If your unit does have two hydro pumps (one for each wheel motor), check the condition and tension on the hydro pumps drive belt. It's common on duel pump units to drive slower on one side until a looser than normal belt heats up, which is quicker than a pump or oil due to the slippage.

Good Luck,

Old 01-02-17, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In the spring I flushed, refilled, and installed new fluid so I'm confident it's not a contamination issue plus it ran fine for 5 months.
What fluids and procedure did you use?
MTD/Cub also says to purge the system after changing fluids.

hey ya 31

Old 01-02-17, 10:23 PM
Need to update my original statement.

The set up has the 17HP Kawasaki engine driving a hydraulic pump that feeds fluid to the drive pumps/hubs at each wheel.
It's actually dual hydraulic pumps (and drive motors), they both work off a common drive belt.

Ran fine for 5 months, just started showing symptom in the fall.