Toro 452cc Engine Question

Old 02-16-17, 04:47 AM
Toro 452cc Engine Question

Almost purchased a Toro 42" ZTR with a Kohler 725cc V-Twin cylinder. Because of all the trees I have to go around Mr. BFH suggested I upgrade to the heavy duty. Okay.

Heavy duty includes a 10 ga fabricated deck and upgraded transmission.

However, the heavy duty does not include the Kohler, only two engines available:

1) Toro 452cc single banger (little small ?)

2) Toro 708cc V-Twin (adds $800)

I will NOT pay over 3k to cut the grass.

SS4200 models are the regular
MX4200 models are the heavy duty

https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pag...00-74765(Toro)

QUESTION: anyone here ever try the Toro 452cc single cylinder on a ZTR?

Thanks very much, summer is a comin'.

Last edited by Baldwin; 02-16-17 at 05:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-17, 05:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess I misread Baldwin and did not realize that would not be available with the kohler. I am not sure but those engines might be made by MTD. I have only seen a few of them on snowblowers but have been introduced to the MTD line in our annual update training and personally, I am not impressed.
What other options do you have in your area? Husqvarna?

Old 02-16-17, 11:31 AM
From what I can find those engines are made by Loncin which is a Chinese motorcycle company apparently. I think I have seen some smaller versions, mainly service or just carb problems so I don't have enough knowledge to add anything else.

Old 02-16-17, 12:21 PM
I checked and the dealer near me does carry Huskvarna so I'll have to give him a call.

Spent all morning checking those out and a whole lot of OLD youtubes. I just went back to the Huskvarna web site and now it says discontinued model for the Z242F with a Briggs on it.

Those sound pretty good so far but I have one goofy question...

I like to mow slow like I mentioned so if I just push the handles a little ways forward will that work without throttling back the engine?

Sorry, only ones I've ever seen is the commercial ones cutting in the cemetery.

Thank you again.

Old 02-16-17, 12:43 PM
Just found on Mowers Direct the new Z242F arriving in a week now has the 21.5HP Kawasaki which is good but now I'm up to $2,900. I'd guess the dealer will be a little higher, hope not too much. I'll have to call him.

Thanks

Old 02-16-17, 03:15 PM
Even better!

Old 02-16-17, 03:18 PM
Missed your question, You don't want to mow at anything but full throttle. Yes it will only go as fast as you push the handles,
I do recommend using Kawasaki oil and oil filters. Double check your manual, but the tech update I attended last week they said that the break in period is basically done at the factory which is in Marysville Mo. The filters have a different bypass valve than any other filter and the oil has a zinc additive that due to EPA having such lean requirements, cause an additional 50 degree in engine temp. around 300-310 degrees. Automotive oil is not meant to run at those temps.
I don't think you will have any regrets and with proper maintenance and storage it might be the last mower you need.

Old 02-16-17, 03:59 PM
Not all that fond of the smart switch (like my phone, I call them smarter than me :P) Not sure which hydro gear trannies on that one, but keep them cleaned off and check you fans for blades and you should have no issues.

Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqb-sHN0eOQ

Old 02-16-17, 03:59 PM
I talked to the dealer an hour or so ago and he said the same about the speed as did my brother who drives a 60" Snapper at his church. Glad to hear that.

He said their shipment comes in next month so I will order one tomorrow as crazy as that is. $$$$

I've saved and printed your information on the oil and filter, thanks for that!!

...it might be the last mower you need.
I'm only 65 so we'll see if it lasts 25 years.

Old 02-16-17, 06:25 PM

Old 02-16-17, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That Kawasaki can last longer than the mower if half decent care is taken of it. I prefer Kawasaki to almost any other brand. Husquvarna makes a pretty decent machine for the money. A couple years ago, lowes was selling Hustler ZTRs with Kawasakis on them for under $3k. That was a great buy. They sell basically the same mower now but with the briggs v-twin on it. Okay, but not as good. I like the briggs v-twins much better now that they've fixed the air filtration problems that were ruining them.

Old 02-16-17, 07:35 PM
Been waiting for you to chime in cheese........... glad you agree

Old 05-15-17, 11:16 AM
Thumbs up FINALLY Some Grass To Cut

Took it out last night and I gotta say I haven't had that much fun in 25 years, what a nice machine. With all the trees, shrubs and buildings I have to go around it was a pleasure.

First couple times around, especially by the curb, I had a death grip on those handles but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Comfortable ride, nice cut, throws the grass a mile and cuts the job time considerably.

If you've never been on a ZTR go to a dealer and take a spin, very cool.

One thing I didn't care for is the weird shape of the gas tank, hard to tell how much gas is in there. I'm sure I'll get that figured with time.

Next thing to buy is some nice aviator sunglasses so I look as good as the machine.

Thanks guys, I'm off to tell the neighbors I'll pay them if I can cut their grass.

Old 05-15-17, 11:37 AM
You will be running the straights with one hand in no time so you can reach the beer in that cup holder and still not miss a beat