Oil Change on a Riding Mower

Old 04-27-01, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
I just have a quick question. I just moved up North from a Southern state where we cut grass all year round. I was told that in the North, before storing my mower for the winter, I should change the oil. I was wondering why this is so. In my mind I would think one would be better off changing the oil in the spring, so that the mower has fresh oil at the beginning of the season.

Any help to this question would be appreciated. I'm just curious.

Thank you,
Irishlaw

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-01, 07:11 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Irishlaw and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

Old tales never die.

Using modern oils of today, I doubt there is much reason for concern. However, should the oil be in need of changing prior to a winter season, by all means change it.

Fact is: Change it again prior to the summer season.
Reason: Condensation.

It may be winter but temperatures do change between days and nights regardless. The changes will produce condensation to form of the crankcase walls, etc. This will produce rust on the metals and acids in the oil.

My suggestion is always to run the engine at least once a month for about 15 minutes after warm up. This allows the heat to dry out the crankcase and neturalize the acids in the oil.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Old 05-02-01, 02:16 PM
Note to Tom Bartco

Tom,

I guess as a Forum Moderator, if you don't like a post or disagree with it, you can just delete it, as you did mine as a response to this post.

However, my response was based on fact, NOT FICTION as part of your reply to IrishLaw is.

I have no problem with being corrected, however, I have a bigtime problem when a Moderator just deletes my response because it contradicts his.

Rick

Old 05-02-01, 08:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Rick

I do not have a problem with someone posting further helpful information or an alternate opinion or suggestion to anyones question. However, I do have a problem when you post a reply that discredits my useage of the word acids. If it would please you, I will change the word acid to contaminates. Please advise.

Your posting does nothing to further help the person with a question over when is the correct time to change the oil. Some prefer to change it prior to winter storage while some prior to summers useage.

What I stated was my opinion. The dirty oil should be removed prior to storage, if storage means not firing up the engine all winter. I also suggest running an engine until hot and long enough to evaporate any moisture to prevent oil contamination.

And it is fact, that oil left within the crankcase may become contaminated with condensation. <water> Water in a small amount will turn the oil to a light brown milky color which may render it uless useful as a lubricant.

I do not profess to be a chemical engineer like yourself. I guess I just chose the incorrect word which you made a negetive reference to in your first posting. Therefore, to save time and server space, I did in fact choose to delete it.

Since the sore spot with you has once again surface here with your posting, I felt compelled to reply. Also be advised, yes this is my forum and I do run it as I see fit.

Let it also be known, that you are as welcomed to use this forum as are others if you chose. However, by you posting a dispute with me over my useage or choice of wording or posting any contradictions or any disagreement to my replies or to anyone elses replies, in any of my forums by you or anyone else, serves no benefit and will be deleted.

Regards,
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Old 05-02-01, 09:57 PM
Tom,

I have absolutely no problem with your revised posting, and in fact agree with everything you say, regarding the changing of oil, and the moisture/condensation and the problems this can cause.

However, when you say that condensation produces acids in the oil, I must disagree. It simply does not happen. Then later you state that running the engine will neutralize the acids in the oil. Again, not true. Do you think it is possible a reader may have some battery acid they want to dispose of and decide to dump it in their crankcase, cause D-I-Y said they could just run the engine and neutralize it? Think about it!

I feel that one of the things I bring to the D-I-Y Forums is about 30 years experience in the chemical process industries. If I were to ignore that knowledge, and consciously allow a statement that I know is not factual, to remain uncorrected, I would mis-lead the readers of this forum. Ms. Moppins, Moderator of the Cleaning Forum, has sent me several e-mails thanking me for correcting her and educating her on the chemical aspects of different cleaning products. I read this as she is anxious to learn, and welcomes someone with some knowledge in specific areas.

While my posting may not have helped the person with the question, it did try to correct a mis-leading statement about acid formation and neutralization. It was not intended to discredit your use of the term acids, but many people do not have a good understanding of what "acids" are, are not, or how to handle them. The more knowledge we can put out there about them, the better off Society will be, in general. My post was intended to state factual information about acids, not be a personal attack.

Your final comment stated "However, by you posting a dispute with me over my useage or choice of wording or posting any contradictions or any disagreement to my replies or to anyone elses replies, in any of my forums by you or anyone else, serves no benefit and will be deleted." is a little disappointing. What you have basically said is anything you, or any other poster, in one of your forums posts on this website is to be considered fact, and is not subject to debate, contradiction, or further discussion. This is truly unfortunate, that we may allow a misstatement to be held as true, since some of your forums deal with moving equipment, energized appliances, gas appliances, etc. where we would hope to avoid misinterpretation which might lead to someone's serious injury or death. I personally find that highly unacceptable, so I will not post to your forums in the future, unless I feel there is a safety risk with what is being posted. Of course, as Moderator, you can always delete my response to any of these posts.

You might want to review the lively discussion in the Electrical Forum, entitled something like "Grounding Argument" which has over 50 replies. Not everyone agreed, there was some contradiction, but overall this was a highly informative and educational thread. I guess you would not have allowed that to happen.

In the past you have not answered my e-mails, which is how I would have preferred to address this matter. So, you left me no choice but to reply here. My e-mail address is accessible in my Profile, or it is [email protected], if you would prefer not to have to look it up.

Rick

Old 05-03-01, 06:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Rick

Excellent reply posting. Thanks. It also gave me another brilliant idea that Brandon and I to work on.

This web site could use your chemical expertise, if you would moderate a new topic on chemicals, within one of the existing forums, where people could post questions on their concerns regarding commonly used chemicals...

As the moderator, you could answer and reply to any and all questions on the topic. As an interactive topic, many discussions and alternate opinions could be posted on one subject.

With the quanity of chemicals found within the average homes, shops, garages, gardens and storage sheds, etc. the chemical topic is destinded to be a success.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me. What's your thoughts and will you moderate the topic, if I open it up?

Sincerely,
Tom

Old 05-04-01, 06:36 AM
Tom,

Can we discuss this "off-line"? If so, how?

Rick
[email protected]

Old 05-04-01, 09:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Rick

My email is and has been opened for months. I did loose several emails during the change over to a new provider. The one you said you sent me way back then could have been one of those that got lost.

To email me {at my doityourself email address} click the envelope icon in the lower banner.

Others have sent me tons of emails from the site, I know something works. Be advised that I do not reply to anyones personal email address {ISP email address} such as AOL etc.

Not to worry about an open discussion in my forum. I can edit, move or delete anything remember?...haha... Just funning around Rick, stay cool.

Regards,
Tom

[Edited by Tom_Bartco on 05-05-01 at 12:23]