Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Lawn Mower - Runs for 2 minutes then stops

CAL

03-03-17, 06:24 PM   #1  
Honda Lawn Mower - Runs for 2 minutes then stops

Model HRR2169VKA

It starts right up, runs for about 2-3 minutes, then sputters and dies. I've cleaned the carb, jets, replaced the fuel filter that was completely destroyed (shredded). Also replaced the spark plug. Any other suggestions? Was thinking of buying a replacement carb for $30 online, just not sure what else to try?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

03-03-17, 07:18 PM   #2  
First thing I would make sure is that there is sufficient volume of fuel flow into the carb bowl. Maybe one of the lines itself is crudded up or perhaps the bottom of the fuel tank where the outlet is for the fuel hose.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

CAL

03-03-17, 07:52 PM   #3  
Thanks, I'll check those things out. Strange thing is if I wait about 5-10 minutes after it dies, it will start right back up again. But it won't immediately start back up after it dies.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-03-17, 10:41 PM   #4  
I agree, fuel flow is the likely culprit. If the fuel filter was shredded, pieces of it may have accumulated in the inlet of the carb. Sometimes you have to take the needle out and blow through it backwards to clear the obstruction.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CAL

03-08-17, 12:04 PM   #5  
Latest is I removed the tank, made sure it was clean and clear, also made sure both fuel hoses were clear and clean. Same thing happened after it was put back together. I just bought a replacement carb online for $26 so I'll try that next. Thought of maybe taking the fuel petcock out of the equation by bypassing it and running fuel directly into the carb. I guess it's worth a shot? Thanks.

VT

03-08-17, 01:22 PM   #6  
I don't see that anyone else has mentioned it; but how's the vent in your Gas Cap.

Sometimes, a clogged vent will allow the engine to start and run for as long as it takes to create a vacuum inside the tank which then inhibits the flow of fuel and starves the engine.

The amount of time varies all over the place depending tank size, how completely the vent is clogged, engine size, et cetera,

Loosen up the cap and see if that lengthens the time span . . . . or allows it to run without interruption.

CAL

03-08-17, 01:32 PM   #7  
I never even considered that, thank you. I'll try it this evening and report back.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

03-08-17, 03:16 PM   #8  
Thought of maybe taking the fuel petcock out of the equation by bypassing it and running fuel directly into the carb. I guess it's worth a shot?
That is a good possibility, there should be a rubber grommet in there that acts as a valve, has an inlet hole and outlet. It could be bad or have something stuck in it letting enough fuel by to fill the bowl over time, but not to keep the bowl full while running.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

NJ

03-09-17, 03:12 AM   #9  
It has been my experience that on Honda engines that behave like this one, you have to disassemble the carb INCLUDING the EMULSION TUBE and clean it out. There are tiny holes in the emulsion tube that get clogged and cause this.

CAL

03-09-17, 07:26 AM   #10  
Bypassing the fuel petcock didn't work and neither did releasing the fuel cap. Good point on the emulsion tube, but I removed and cleaned that with the rest of the carb unfortunately.

The new carb should be here tomorrow, so I'll ve very interested in seeing if that's the issue.

Appreciate all the suggestions, and I'll report back once the new carb is on.

Search this Thread