Full trash pumps - Will leaves clog them?

Old 04-06-17, 08:05 AM
Full trash pumps - Will leaves clog them?

I've been looking for a trash pump to empty a pool full of leaves and water. But i can't find any manufacturer that explicitly says their pump will handle leaf litter. In fact they all come with strainers for the input hose that would immediately clog if thrown in a pool full of leaves. One manufacturer specifically states in one of their question and answer pages that leaves definitely will clog their semi-trash pump. Will semi-trash clog, but full-trash not? What's the difference? What good is a trash pump that needs a strainer to strain out the trash?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-17, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
All pumps I have seen specify the size of solid they can handle but I too have never heard one reference leaves. I assume because "leaves" is such a nebulous thing. How big are the leaves... what type of leaves... how many leaves... are there stems or twigs...? Also, leaves and other debris like rags and rope are particularly difficult. In a centrifugal pump floppy things like leaves can fold over and stick to the leading edge of impeller blades which causes a drop in efficiency and eventually can clog. Even in diaphragm pumps leaves and other similar stuff can get caught in the flapper inlet and outlet valves causing them to loose efficiency or clog. Solids like rocks are comparatively easy to work work with. They are hard so they don't stick to things and they can clunk and bounce their way through a pump if the passages are big enough.

Usually centrifugal pumps are semi-trash types meaning they mostly handle liquid but there can be some chunks. Trash pumps are usually diaphragm and are intended to pump very dirty water, mud and rocks. There is no set definition so it's a gray area as to what is trash and semi-trash. For a residential pool just get in there with a skimmer or strainer and pick out the leaves. Then pump out the water.

Old 04-06-17, 10:56 AM
Pilot Dane: Yeah, unfortunately there are several trees overhanging the pool, and theres around a full pickup bed of leaves in there with none of them floating anymore. I may end up doing it manually, but it will take more than a skimmer.

Old 04-06-17, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Any pump that might be able to handle them will be too expensive to buy for one job though you could rent a pump. You'll have better luck if you can keep the leaves stirred up so the pump is mostly moving water. If the pool is as thick with leaves as you say then I'd pump until the strainer got blocked then shovel out leaves with a pitchfork then pump down the water some more and keep repeating until it's empty. You can also sink a clothes basket with bricks and put the pump intake in that to help filter out the leaves.

Old 04-06-17, 01:33 PM
I think you're right Pilot Dane, I like the clothes basket idea.