Generator re-power

Old 04-08-17, 08:28 AM
Generator re-power

I have a sears craftsman model 580.32674 portable generator. I bought it as a ‘non-running, $80 generator’. The engine is a 7.8 horsepower Generac 216 cubic inch model=98912. I found that the mounting system for the alternator was broken off and the gap between the alternator arms and the flywheel cannot be maintained. Therefore I cannot get any spark. This purchase has become a salvage operation and a challenge that I enjoy pursuing. Alternator mounting repair would, I believe, require replacing the engine head and would not be economically feasible. That means one would be better off replacing the engine. Instead, I am considering driving the generator with the power take off on my BCS 605 walk-behind tractor. It has a Honda GX390, 13 horsepower engine. I do not think I need a dedicated engine for the generator. The adaptation using a 1000 r.p.m. tractor-driven pulley vee-belted to a properly sized pulley on the Generac engine shaft would drive the generator at 3600 r.p.m.
I do not think I can direct drive the generator by removing the engine as I assume the Generac engine crank-shaft bearings are needed to stabilize the generator shaft. I do not want to drive the Generac engine under compression and will maintain the Generac engine oil. If I remove the piston and rod will the spinning crank-shaft cause unacceptable vibration? What would be a better way to keep filtered air coming into the Generac engine through the intake valve and exhausting out the muffler? I am ready to start tearing down this generator set by removing the flywheel and installing the pulley system. Do you think this will result in a working generator set to power my barn’s ‘off-grid’ electrical system? I would be interested in your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-17, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Thread moved to gasoline powered equipment.