Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl 025 chain saw parts ID help

Non-US

04-10-17, 12:11 PM   #1  
Stihl 025 chain saw parts ID help

I am tinkering and cleaning an old saw. Inside the cover (ignition coil side) the cover has this circle that is worn and there is like a ropey material? The side of the cover facing out looks like there is a wee knot where this material was imbedded in the plastic. I noticed that there is a washer of similar material under the flat metal washers on the wheel thing .. the think that looks like a donut crueller... compression wheel?? What would be the purpose of this material in the cover?

Also, what is the orange nipple for ... to the left of the muffler?

thanks a bunchName:  Orange Nipple on Stihl.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  39.5 KB

Sponsored Links

Non-US

04-10-17, 12:15 PM   #2  
Name:  Stihl inside cover what is it.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  33.0 KB

Here is the other pic..

IA

04-11-17, 08:52 AM   #3  
The side you're showing pictures for is on the chain/bar/clutch side. The rope recoil starter would be on the other side with the flywheel/rope/coil - that type of stuff.

It sounds like the plastic wheel would be for the starter rope. The fibrous material could either be debris from cutting or broken rope material.

The orange nipple I don't recognize. Some of the regular shop guys here probably know.

Non-US

04-14-17, 08:21 AM   #4  
Yes I screwed up, this is as you said.. on the chain side obviously. The fibrous material is embedded into the plastic like it was formed that way? It is not debris .. it is physically part of the cover?

IA

04-14-17, 12:33 PM   #5  
In the second picture it looks like that's just shredded plastic. The cover is formed plastic. It's not fiber reinforced.

PA

04-14-17, 01:31 PM   #6  
Ah, I used 025s all the time when I was a climber for a local tree service.
Really durable little saw, is that the old all-metal body?

The black gunk appears to be the remains of nylon rope or fishing line that got wrapped
around the drive sprocket, and trapped between the sprocket and the cover,
friction eventually melted it into black goo.

The orange plug looks about right to be a drain for the bar oil reservoir.

Search this Thread