Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton engine and deck hole mounting repair question

PA

04-11-17, 11:31 AM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton engine and deck hole mounting repair question

With the decks of gas push mower being made so thin nowadays I've found the 3-hole mounting holes on the decks just breaking after only a few years - or less if you happen to hit something with the mower.
Anyway, I wondered if the mounting holes for Briggs & Stratton engines were standard spacing dimensions between different engine sizes, such as between 3hp-6.75hp
I've always suspected that they are and it would make sense to use the lower engine assembly for multiple-hp sized engines.

My question though is about repairing the deck frames when the engine mounting bolts tear the sheet metal holes out where they fasten to the deck.
I wondered if anyone ever found any kind of flat metal ring that matched the 7inch diameter hole for mounting B&S engines that would only require that you accurately mark & drill out 3/8inch engine bolt holes.
Thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links

VT

04-11-17, 11:52 AM   #2  
I can't answer your question about the flat reinforcing ring that you'd like to find . . . . I've always used large fender washers to reinforce these fragile sheet metal holes on walk-behinds. Do you have a local Blacksmith who could fabricate one (as a prototype) for you ?

What I can say is that most B&S and Tecumseh Engines usually share bolt patterns. I've got a 1973 AMF Rider that began life with me powered by a 8 HP Briggs which blew up; was then brought back to life with a 10 HP Tecumseh; and was recently resusitated with a 13.5 HP Briggs and Stratton . . . . always using the same bolts holes for mounting the engines.

But 1973 was a year when they used heavier gauge metal for the chassis; so I haven't ever felt compelled to reinforce that metal. Now they're not much thicker than a beer can.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-12-17, 12:12 AM   #3  
Most all of them have the same mounting pattern. Some decks did have a heavy ring around the mounting area to reinforce it but I don't think I've seen it in a while. Normally when I see one cracked in that area, it's because it has been vibrating due to a bent or unbalanced blade and/or a bent crankshaft.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread