Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2007 Craftsman dls 3500 riding mower: 2 issues

AL

04-14-17, 06:57 AM   #1  
2007 Craftsman dls 3500 riding mower: 2 issues

First issue: Since this mower was purchased it has a tendency to "leap" when the brake pedal is released. Is there an adjustment I can make to minimze this problem?

Second issue: The "leaping" caused the mower to run into a tree while I was cutting around it and since that time the front end has been out of alignment. I have replaced the right linkage since that is the side that was hit, and it seemed to exaggerate the "toe out" condition. Mowing is difficult in this condition. It is difficult to maintain a straight line while cutting. The right side tire has considerable wear, much more than the left side.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-14-17, 11:06 AM   #2  
We'd need a model number to be sure which front end you have, but it could be a bent drag link that connects from one wheel to the other. Sounds like the belt is either a bit tight or is too rubbery where the cloth coating that allows gentle clutching should be.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 04-15-17 at 07:21 PM.

AL

04-14-17, 11:49 AM   #3  
The model # is 917.288132.
The belt doesn't appear to be too tight, but the belt is the original. Maybe it needs replacing.

AL

04-14-17, 11:53 AM   #4  
Also, this model doesn't have a link connecting the wheels. There are 2 drag links that connect the front wheel spindles to the steering gear plate.

CT

04-14-17, 04:41 PM   #5  
If replacing the right front steering linkage has made the condition worse, go back to the old linkage until you get the drive belt issue resolved and then address the tire wear. When the tractor hit the tree, one or all of the following could have happened. It could have bent the rim, bent the spindle, bent the front axle or bent the frame. I doubt there are manufacturer specs for any alignment values so you are left to figure out what is bent on your own. You can buy a replacement rim, spindle or axle. If the frame is bent. I would live with the condition (unless a auto body frame straightening company would do it for a reasonable price) or see if I could trade it in for a new mower. Good luck.

AL

04-15-17, 01:48 PM   #6  
update

I have removed the front wheels, spindles, and axle to inspect. No damage to frame or axle. The spindle seems a little bent, so I hammered on it and replaced everything and it is some better! Not perfect. Maybe I will order a new spindle.

I also replaced the motion drive belt.
Some problems with it but got it done. New problem: mower will not go into reverse. Never had that problem before. I'm sure someone knows about an adjustment to be made to remedy this "new problem".

Thanks again for your help!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-15-17, 07:27 PM   #7  
Usually that's because the shift handle has gotten bent. If it doesn't have an adjustment under the fender, I usually put it in reverse, block the shifter from moving down near the transmission and then force the shifter handle forwards a bit to bend it just a little. This will allow it to travel far enough back to select reverse.

God bless!

AL

04-16-17, 11:17 AM   #8  
Good call, Cheese. Followed your instructions, shifting good.
Mower is in good working condition thanks to all the help from this forum.

Good job, Guys!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-16-17, 01:13 PM   #9  
Glad we could help, thanks for the update!

God bless!

AL

05-07-17, 04:44 PM   #10  
Same mower, new question

What would cause a build-up of grease on the inside of the back wheels to the point of the grease leaking onto the the concrete floor?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-17, 11:36 PM   #11  
A transmission wearing and leaking. Likely either leaking around the brake disk or a cracked case.

God bless!

AL

05-12-17, 06:01 PM   #12  
What would be the fix for this problem? I haven't checked the brake for any leakage, but it looks like the axle going into both rear wheels is wet with this grease, with the most around the right wheel.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-17, 07:14 PM   #13  
There's not really any fix. Wipe it off once every few months if it continues to accumulate. It's not made like an automotive transmission, it doesn't even have lip seals at the axles.

God bless!

AL

05-15-17, 05:10 AM   #14  
10-4. I'll clean it up and keep it running as long as possible. Thanks for all your help!

Search this Thread