Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Using Troy Bilt PW without hose hookup?

IN

04-18-17, 02:02 PM   #1  
Using Troy Bilt PW without hose hookup?

When I bought my Troy Bilt 2800 power washer from Lowe's I was told I could could use it without being hooked up to a water hydrant if I drew water from a unpressurized tank, like a 15 gallon tank.

After burning up a pump in another washer due to restricted water pressure I'm reluctant to risk doing THAT again.

Any thoughts or opinions?

One of the projects I wanted to do was power washing our family grave makers.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-18-17, 02:13 PM   #2  
maybe for a few minutes, I wouldn't run a pressure washer unless it was connected to a continuous flow of water! btw- welcome to the forums!

I'd use a pump up garden sprayer to clean the grave stones.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-18-17, 02:17 PM   #3  
Pressure washers do not "draw" water. They require 2-3 gallons/minute usually and I think most might state 5 gpm. You might be able to accomplish this with a big enough head tank with gravity providing the flow. A 15 gallon tank would be used up in only a few minutes.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-18-17, 09:29 PM   #4  
If you did this with a mobile tank, you would need to either pressurize the tank to 60 psi or so and maintain that pressure, or run a large pipe to the pressure washer, maybe 2" inside diameter or larger to keep the water supplying the pump faster than the pump is taking it. You'd also have to be sure there was a good vent for the tank and to keep it open while in use.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread