Bad Boy mowers worth it

Old 05-11-17, 05:53 PM
Bad Boy mowers worth it

I ma looking for a new mower. I was looking at the Bad boy MZ and MZ magnum. I cant seem to find many reviews of either one on. I was wondering if anyone here had any reviews on the mowers or the company itself. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-17, 05:57 PM
Your talking some serious money for a lawn mower. Is this for a commercial venture or just your home owner mower?

Old 05-11-17, 06:07 PM
Its for home use. Have 2 acres with trees and fenced in back yard. My little MTD Bolens, just takes to long to mow with so was looking to upgrade.

Old 05-11-17, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe I missed something. $3k for a ZTR isn't a great deal in comparison to Skag or others. I know the site said "from" $3k, so I guess if you add a key and gas cap it goes up.

Old 05-11-17, 06:19 PM
The scag liberty z about 4500 from what I have been able to find. Also looking at JD and cub cadet.

Old 05-11-17, 09:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume you are looking at tractor supply at these? Check out the price for a new set of blades... that might change your mind about them. They can be had for much cheaper online though, or through some aftermarket retailers. So far, the few I've looked at haven't been that bad. Not that good either. I wouldn't recommend one but I wouldn't try to talk someone out of buying one either.

Old 05-12-17, 04:15 AM
Cub Cadet is MTD, I have a MTD pro walk behind and considering what I paid for this used it's good for my 1ac of cutting but it's not a high end unit.

Neighbor has a MTD compact tractor and it's not holding compared to my JD 2210.

Here is article on who makes what for ref.

2017 Who Makes What? – All Zero-Turn, Lawn And Garden Tractor Manufacturers

Old 05-12-17, 05:30 AM
I wouldn't recommend one but I wouldn't try to talk someone out of buying one either.
Pretty much my feelings as well. They are certainly above Cub but still below Husqvarna IMO, especially when you start considering price outright and maintaining. If you REALLY want Willie Nelson riding with you during mowing, well then you have no other choice....

Old 05-12-17, 08:59 AM
Soon after I bought my weird-brand (Country Clipper) zero-turn I found an active lawn care forum that had answers to my questions. While browsing there I quickly picked up on the respect shown the Bad Boy mowers by the pros that spend all day sitting on their Skags & Exmarks. BB fills the niche between low-priced stamped steel mowers & $8000+ boiler plate commercial mowers.
If my ZTR blew up today I'd probably buy a Bad Boy.

Old 05-12-17, 03:24 PM
I got my Kubota ZD21 for a fairly reasonable price with only 500 hours on the clock. I use Gator or Predator blades and the mulching action is superb. I don't have a bunch of loose grass sitting on my lawn after I mow it if I mow too late. They seem to grind it better.

I have looked at other lesser expensive brands and just the quality of the metal scares me off. I prefer diesel to gas, so that has a lot to do with it. Tune ups are simple. Pour fuel in, wait for the glow plug to do it's thing and start it.

Old 05-12-17, 05:36 PM
I only buy my mowers from the same place that also does the service.
Nice to pull in, the parts are most often in stock, need it worked on your not at the bottom of the list of people that did not buy there.
My Massey Ferguson 2300 has almost 1000 hours on it and all I've had to do is change blades and a blade belt.

Old 05-15-17, 11:04 AM
I've narrowed my search to either a bad boy mz magnum 54" or a hustler raptor sd 54". I like the hydros better on the hustler, but the deck is a 1/16" thicker on the bad boy. And depending. On it I pay cash or not, it's about 300 cheaper. The engines are similar on both, both kohler 7000 series, but I like the hustler's a little better feature wise.

Old 05-15-17, 04:07 PM
Which one has a cup holder?? You are right to look at all the features offered. I think you'll make a good purchase.

Old 05-15-17, 10:16 PM
I think I going to get the hustler. The pros seem to out way the negatives on it compared to the bad boy. Hopefully its a good unit.

Old 05-16-17, 02:52 AM
A friend of mine does lawns professionally and he prefers a Hustler. It may be a good choice.