Mower won't turn over

Old 05-19-17, 01:37 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mower won't turn over

I have a husqvarna z4218. It will not turn over. I am fairly certain the issue is the voltage going to the trigger wire is preventing the solenoid from engaging. The voltage when testring the wire that plugs into the solenoid is only 3v. What would cause the low voltage to happen.

Fuses are both good
Battery has a good charge
I have replaced the relays and solenoid already.

At a loss for the cause, any help is appreciated.

Old 05-19-17, 02:34 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
From battery to fuses to solenoid.... from here, starter is locked up.

I am assuming you do not have a volt meter? If so, check
battery voltage at terminals
voltage at, in & through battery cable
voltage at fuse, both before & after
voltage at solenoid... before & after
voltage at starter...
you'll need some help with this. Someone to hold the key to the start position.

from here, let us know what you find. If we dont get results at this point, we will provide alternate advise.

Old 05-19-17, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Use a jumper wire from the main lug on the solenoid that comes from the battery, to the small terminal and see if the starter will engage. If it does, the problem is from the solenoid to the key including possibly safety circuit.
IF Not:
Jump the two main lugs on the solenoid and see if the starter engages. If it does then the solenoid is the problem (possibly ground).

Old 05-19-17, 09:28 PM
F
Voltage at battery is 12.4, fuse is the same, at switch is he same. Battery to solenoid is 12.4. The solenoid is good. The wire that triggers the solenoid will not engage it. I have jumped it straight to the battery and and it kicks the starter over. When key is turned to start the wire that engages the solenoid only gives 3 volts instead of the 12 volts needed to engage it. I am trying to figure out why it is only giving 3 volts.

Old 05-19-17, 11:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Check your voltage from the battery positive terminal to bare metal on the engine block. If you show 3 volts, you have a bad connection, probably where the ground cable meets the frame. If you show 12 volts, then move on to the keyswitch, see if the power wire there has 12 volts and if the solenoid trigger wire coming from the switch has 12 volts. Follow from there to the clutch switch and blade pto switch until you find the place where the voltage going in is 12 and coming out is 3 and that will be your problem area.

Old 05-20-17, 03:05 AM
J
Check your connections at the battery make sure the bolts/nuts are tight and cable ends are not corroded. Had one in the shop this week -- battery tested 12.4V, did a load test and tested good. I was thinking solenoid however before anything else, I checked battery connections. I was removing bolts and they seemed loose. I cleaned cable ends and reconnected -- problem solved.

Old 05-20-17, 07:15 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
The ignition switch is bad.

Old 05-20-17, 09:04 AM
F
Battery to engine block is 12.4 volts

Switch turned to start shows 12.4 volts
Wire that goes into pto switch has 12.4v both going in and coming out when key turned to start. The red wire with white stripe leaves the pto harness and goes to a relay. I replaced all of the relays yesterday thinking that was an issue.

Old 05-20-17, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Is the relay where the voltage drops to 3 volts or does it continue from there? I think I'd go on and test the safety switches. The ignition switch is fine from what I can tell.

Old 05-20-17, 09:24 AM
F
Ok checked voltage coming in to relay harness and is 12.3 volts. There is a yellow wire that is part of that relay harness, it appears to go to the from of the mower where the parking brake lever is. I can trace out both the yellow from the relay harness to the front and a different yellow wire from the trigger to the front. I am going to assume at this point there is a safety cut off up there that is the issue.

Old 05-20-17, 09:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a 3 post solenoid? Good ground to solenoid...???

Old 05-20-17, 10:00 AM
F
Ok so trigger wire (yellow) goes to the parking brake switch, it appears that a second yellow goes from there to one of the handles then back to the relay. The voltage going into the parking brake switch is only 6 volts so the other safety switch is probably the culprit. Am I on the right track?

Old 05-20-17, 11:12 AM
F
So the safety switch for the left control arm is bad. Thanks for all of the help especially Cheese.

Old 05-20-17, 11:16 AM
A
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
a wiring diagram might help u page 60 here.
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSO/H..._O0603006_.pdf
looks to me like if your voltage is good on the red white wire in the start position at the start relay that only leaves 2 more switches to check on the yellow wire one on the left motion control, then the brake switch.

Old 05-20-17, 01:35 PM
F
Thanks Alan, wish I would have had that yesterday. Would have made diagnosis faster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: