What's up with my Honda small engine?

Old 05-23-17, 06:31 AM
What's up with my Honda small engine?

Hi,
Last year I bought a power washer that is powered by a Honda GVC 160 (I believe). Used it a few times last year successfully but this year when I pulled it out of the shed it wouldn't start. I looked at a couple of YouTube videos and cleaned up the carb and after a few pulls, it started. After running for 15 seconds, I turned off the choke and the engine started dying. So I put the choke back on and after a minute, put it off - same result. The unit runs fine but only with the choke on - I ran it for 30 minutes or so this way. Didn't have this issue last year - any idea about what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-17, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you leave gas in it over the winter? I believe the carb needs to be cleaned better, it sounds like it's starved for fuel.

Old 05-23-17, 06:54 AM
Yes I did but like with all my other small engines, I put in some gas preserver. I'll attack the carb again and give it a good cleaning (and talking to).

Old 05-23-17, 07:07 AM
Put new gas in and add some SeaFoam to it, just might do the trick.

Been there, done that.

Old 05-23-17, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
When using a fuel preservative you need to mix it in the fuel. Then put enough of the preserved fuel in the machine so the remaining un-treated fuel does not dilute it too much. Then you have to run the engine long enough to make sure the preserved fuel flushes the un-treated fuel out of the carburetor. Then if you want to go a step better run all of the gas out of the machine. When spring comes and you need to use the machine put in fresh gas.

Old 05-23-17, 10:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like to add StaBil to the last tank of gas and then run it out. I do leave the gas in my chainsaws [w/stabil] but it's rare for one of them to go more than a few months without being used.

Old 05-23-17, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On top of the carb, facing the valve cover side, there is a big black plastic screw for the idle speed. Take this out and underneath it is a black plastic piece pushed into the top of the carb. Pry this out with a screwdriver and clean the tiny hole in the end of it with a wire. Then clean out the bowl and main jet and you should be fine. Run non-ethanol fuel, especially if you aren't using it often.