What type of push mower would work best?

Old 05-22-17, 06:19 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What type of push mower would work best?

I have about 2 acres of land to maintain. I can do about an acre and a half with the riding mower but I have no access to the far side of the pond so I use a push mower. I also have to push mow close to the house because the riding mower is too big to reach. I had an old craftsman with a hybrid (?) engine but it finally broke. It wasn't self propelled and I never had an issue with pushing it.

I am in the market for a quality push mower to replace it. Do I need the larger wheels in the back? What about AWD vs RWD vs FWD? The area I'm mowing is fairly level with the exception of around the driveway (it's kind of on a slope).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-23-17, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Personally, I like a simple light weight mower. No self propelled, no bagger, no single lever height adjustment and normal size wheels. Keeping the mower simple and light makes it easy to push and maneuver. I've found that all large rear wheels do is make the mower heavier and harder to turn. Self propelled can be nice when it's working but I usually find the mower's speed limiting and even variable speed ones just don't handle as well as a simple, light manual mower.

Old 05-23-17, 05:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I also prefer a simple lightweight push mower. IMO when it comes down to just a basic mower the cheap ones are just as good as their more expensive counterpart. I've never cared much for a self propelled mower as the speed seldom matches my energy level and when the self propel goes out the extra weight makes the mower a LOT harder to use.

Old 05-23-17, 05:42 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Walking Mower

I prefer front wheel drive, self-propelled, single speed. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-23-17, 05:50 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Not to pile on the bad wagon, but just adding support for lighter weight basic lawn mower. Granted, I have neither any more, but do help a number of elderly and handicapped persons around the community with various things from time to time, and have never come across a self propelled model that I liked. Depends I suppose on one's personal ground speed, but, as mentioned, the speed of any such mower I have used has seldom kept up with my speed, at which time the drive simply becomes added dead weight. As far as around the house, definitely keep mowing in mind as you landscape, and obviously when it's time for a new rider. We have a couple of acres of lawn with a fairly typical assortment of trees, bushes, flower beds, sidewalks, etc., but we have always planned new flower beds or whatever with mowing in mind, which gradually reduced the push mowing. Then 20 years or so ago I replaced my old lawn tractor with a rear steer mower that is much more maneuverable, and sold my push mower either later that year or the next because I had eliminated any need for it.

Old 05-23-17, 09:53 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What about this?

Honda 21 in. Push Walk-Behind Gas Mower - California Compliant-HRS216K5PKA - The Home Depot

Seems basic but should be all I need. Kind of high for such a basic mower but I'm willing to spend if it's a quality mower.

Old 05-23-17, 11:57 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Seems like a lot of money for a trim mower below is a simple mower from wally world for $158. Have a good one. Geo

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Murray-21...Mower/47150474

Old 05-23-17, 12:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always been satisfied with Murray mowers although it does bug me that their $100 mower now costs $150+

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: