Riding Mower Carb/Fuel Problems

Old 05-01-01, 07:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I recently purchased a used 1990 MTD riding mower (Briggs & Stratton 12hp engine). It starts fine cold, but as it heats up, it runs rough, then dies. It's hard to restart after that (cranks, but just doesn't start right away-after about 5 tries it runs, but rough). It seems to be a carb problem (the carb gets fuel, but the engine doesn't stay running). There are adjustment screws on the carb (mixture, idle, etc.) I just don't know which is which. The choke works fine (manual cable operated). When it is cold, it runs like a champ, but after heating up (about 10 min., it's useless). I've searched the web for carb info (diagrams, etc., to no avail).

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-01, 10:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Jeff,

Briggs and Stratton will send you the exploded view of your engine (parts manual) as well as owner's manual, or you can download it from their site. I have done this for B&S equipped machines I have. They didn't charge me for mine when I requested it. Their site tells you where to find the model # and what codes they need to send you the literature you want.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com is the URL as I recall.

Old 05-01-01, 10:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I should also mention they have an excellent tech support group there too. They usually give pretty detailed answers to your questions in a few days.

Old 05-01-01, 11:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
PPS

Try running it with the gas cap off, perhaps a clogged vent? I have seen this before on some small engines.

Old 05-01-01, 01:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Joe,

I called Briggs & Stratton, and they do not have the owner's service manual online (according to them, it is too old (over 10 years), so I had to pay for the info to be sent ($10.00). Anyway, thanks for the help.

Jeff

Old 05-01-01, 06:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Did you try their download section? They will usually send it for free when they are prodded a bit!!!

I hate to see people pay for stuff like that, they should just have it available.

Since they charged ya ten bucks, make sure you use their free technical service online!