Cub Cadet LTX 1050 drive belt replacement

Old 06-07-17, 10:49 AM
Cub Cadet LTX 1050 drive belt replacement

I have a couple of questions about replacing the drive belt.

When the belt failed it took out the hydro fan and busted a spring on the idler pulley bracket. The spring is pc 15 on the drive system pictorial. I can see where one end of the spring anchors on the bracket but I don't know where the other end of the spring attaches. Does it connect to the PTO?

I have the diagram for routing the drive belt but I'm not sure how the belt routs underneath the steering support bracket. Does the belt go to one side of the steering wheel shaft or does the steering wheel shaft need to be disconnected to allow the belt to be routed around it?

JMO but I think the idiots who designed this should be made to change the belt whenever one breaks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-17, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As far as the belt routing, I am pretty sure that one routes to the left side of the steering shaft. try it that way first and you should be able to tell. Some of the older units you do have to remove the steering column. Put the belt on the drive pulley first, then the hydro pulley then the rest.

As far as the spring, I assume you found where it goes on the arm...??? The other end you might just have to look for a wear spot on the frame or other...

I agree with you opinion of train drivers though...I spent an hour simply changing out a starter solenoid (likely the most common electrical part to fail in this industry) because it was buried beneath the sub frame of the steering column.....
There is a reason they don't send the train drivers to the Technical update classes

Old 06-07-17, 12:48 PM
Old 06-07-17, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the help. I found the tension spring anchor point and got everything put back together OK. I saved the maintenance instructions that you linked. Hopefully I'll never have to use them.

Old 06-07-17, 04:05 PM

Good deal, and yes save that pdf, otherwise if you need it you would have to pay as it is meant for certified service...
If you haven't looked through it you should, it is very detailed with good pics and shows the springs and where and how they are attached.