Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

HONDA GCV 160 Thermowax?

AR

06-09-17, 04:32 AM   #1  
HONDA GCV 160 Thermowax?

I have checked all over the internet and cannot find anyone with the same problem as me. Hoping yall can help. For the last 2-3 years, my honda mower bought in 2011 GCV160, starts and runs perfect but if I have it running for LESS than a few minutes and I stop the engine it is extremely difficult to start back up. For example I am on my first 1 or 2 passes of the lawn and I stop the engine to move a big stick. If I allow it to run and warm up and stop the engine after MORE than a few minutes it starts back up every time, no problem.

I thought the problem may be the autochoke thermowax but I replaced it and I still have the same problem. Mower is well maintained. I have always used ethanol free gas, I change the spark plug and air filter each spring, and change the oil each spring.

Can anyone help? Please!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-09-17, 10:52 AM   #2  
Sounds like the thermowax is working. The problem here is that the engine is warming up enough for the thermowax to open the choke, but it is not warm enough to not need the choke to restart. It's a common problem on newer autochoke engines. One workaround is to tilt the mower sideways with the carb up to let a little fuel dribble out of the carb into the intake, then start it up. I suggest getting a spring clamp and using it to keep the mower running while you go move the stick.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AR

06-09-17, 12:07 PM   #3  
Fix

Too funny I have had a clamp on there for awhile now but drives me crazy not being able to fix the problem. I'll try your other trick.

Search this Thread