Problems starting my rototiller

Old 06-10-17, 05:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problems starting my rototiller

I have a Huskee Rototiller either a 1999 or 2000 model with a Briggs and Stratton engine and over the past few years I have been having issues with the pull recoil start. I used to be able to start it myself but now I can't. When I pull it, it seems to pull really hard. I almost get it but then the rope jerks my arm back toward the tiller. My cousin can get it to start but he said it pulls extremely hard. I know as engines get older they can pull harder, but the fact that when I try to give it a good pull, and it jerks my arm back makes me think something is wrong with the rope and it may need to be switched out. My cousin told me this probably wouldn't help any. I have been thinking about buying a new tiller, but I am afraid that after a few years, i will be in the same boat where i can't pull the start rope. Can anyone give me some advise as to what my options are.

Old 06-10-17, 05:52 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Engine pull starters should get easier as the engine ages since the compression usually decreases as the engine ages. Try lubricating the rope pulley axle.
The rope is rewinding because the engine is attempting to start in reverse. This could be caused by incorrect timing. The ignition module should be a business card thickness away from the flywheel. Also, if you are not pulling the rope fast enough, there is no momentum to carry the piston past top dead center. The ignition occurs before the piston reaches top dead center. Without momentum, the piston will reverse direction and rewind the pull rope.. Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-17, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I imagine this is an OHV engine. If so, age often makes the compression higher. Not running compression, but starting compression, because the valve clearances get loose and then the compression release mechanism becomes ineffective. I'd adjust the valves first.

Old 06-12-17, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I imagine this is an OHV engine. If so, age often makes the compression higher. Not running compression, but starting compression, because the valve clearances get loose and then the compression release mechanism becomes ineffective. I'd adjust the valves first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: