Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cub Cadet 2135 Rider Keeps Stalling

OH

06-12-17, 03:21 PM   #1  
Cub Cadet 2135 Rider Keeps Stalling

I have the Kohler engine CH13S. It is stalling on me after a few minutes of mowing. To get it going again I have to spray carb cleaner into the carb.

Then I have to wait about 30 minutes for it to start and run again. It used to happen just once during the cut, and once I did that procedure it ran and finish the cutting, but today it stalled out on me 4 times and will only run for about 25 mins at a time after spraying and waiting.

Each time I had to spray the carb and wait to get it to run for a while. I even replaced the fuel filter, but that didn't help either. Any idea what needs to be done?

Thank you for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

06-12-17, 03:24 PM   #2  
Try loosening or removing the gas cap and see if the problem continues.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-12-17, 04:19 PM   #3  
If you are waiting that amount of time without results, check for spark....

Be careful about spraying carb cleaner in the carb with it mounted on the engine...here is one reason...
Brand new Husqvarna 54" fabricated deck, 26HP Briggs intek. It had set in a crate for a year, uncrated then used as a demo for a bit to park in front of the store then just sat for another two years. A certain distributor of "Mechanic in a bottle" type cleaner came and wanted to demonstrate their product. The store manager at that time chose this mower, and the Lead Mech at that time assisted and I had only been at this store a few months but was asked to watch/learn/advise...The main product was meant for fuel injected engines and they had some high tech stainless cool looking equipment that supposedly was required...since this was carbureted and not fuel injection, they could only use gravity to feed their juice to the carb. It required the engine to run in order to work so the "at that time lead Mech" used carb cleaner to spray in the carb in order to keep the engine running...they continued this for over 15 minutes against my advice. What happens in this case is the carb cleaner does not vaporize and it washes the oil off of the cylinder walls, this was a brand new engine with less than 3 hours on it, basically not even broken in. They did manage to unclog the carb and it ran on its own for 10 minutes or so, was shut down and the "at that time Manager" purchased the equipment and juice.
Forward a year later, this mower still sits on the lot and the Store owner now active manager gets it unloaded likely loosing money on it...Now, the carb is a Nikki, the o-rings in the carb are shot and the carb needs replaced. It runs starts but sounds sick and comes back....will not start. I do the normal diagnosis, and find that compression on both cylinders is 40psi...I do a leak down and determine the rings are the issue...tear it down hone and rings and voila back in buisness.

Moral: Beware of Snake oil Salesman

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

OH

06-13-17, 07:08 PM   #4  
Well I'll Be!

Wellsir ... it was indeed the gas cap on too tight. I remember tightening it. I loosed it, and I had no problem with the mower stalling. How does a gas cap on tight cause the stalling? That seems pretty strange. Thank for that very helpful bit of information. I hope I didn't do any harm using that carb cleaner as I did. Wish I had known about that before. :NO NO NO:

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-13-17, 09:53 PM   #5  
The cap should be tight, but if you have a clogged vent in the cap, loosening it allows it to vent. Clean the clogged vent in the fuel cap and you should be back in business.

As you use fuel, air must enter the tank to replace the volume of fuel used or it will make a vacuum in the tank and eventually the engine can't get any more fuel out of it and it stalls. Waiting 30 minutes allowed some air to enter the tank so you could mow again. The carb cleaner wasn't doing anything.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread