Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pressure washer started surging when under load

WA

06-14-17, 02:30 PM   #1  
Pressure washer started surging when under load

I have a Honda GC 160 6 HP
Karcher 2.5 GPM, Model G 30050 OH pump

It had been working just fine until yesterday when I change hoses.

I had been pressure washing for about 1/2 hour using the rotating nozzle thing. I had gone as far as I could with the 3/4" hose #1 connected to the front hose bib of my house.

I shut the washer off, turn off the water, removed the hand sprayer from hose #2 going to the rear of my house and connected that 3/4" hose to the pressure washer.

I restart the pressure washer and now it's surging. I make sure all the valves are wide open. I try some other spray nozzles, but it still surges.

So I turn off the washer, remove hose #2, and reconnect hose #1 again, turn on the water, and start the washer. It still surges.

I checked the little metal screen filter at the water inlet to the washer and it perfectly clean.

Short video here: https://youtu.be/5sqCnmhSgjk

My gas is fresh. The air filter is relatively new. I'm stumped.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

06-14-17, 03:23 PM   #2  
Does the engine surge even when you are not spraying or is it only when spraying?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-14-17, 03:43 PM   #3  
The pump surging not the engine....from the video
Likely the unloader valve.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

WA

06-14-17, 09:47 PM   #4  
It worked then 5 minutes later it did not

In the time it took for me to swap hoses, it started the surge thing. Can it come on that quickly, without any sort of gradual warning?

WA

06-19-17, 11:00 PM   #5  
Replaced the pump

I checked all the stuff people on the web recommended. Nothing worked.

So I took it to a Seattle shop that only does sales and service of pressure washers since I needed to get it working. My bro-in-law does pressure washing (van mounted) for his income and this is where he goes. There are no such shops in Everett 32 miles away.

They had a 3-4 week backlog, but their tech tried some stuff right away and determined it was a bad pump. They had an Italian upgrade in stock, so I decided to go for it. It took him 20 minutes to get the pump separated, since the motor shaft had rust bonding to the pump. I'm not sure I could have gotten it off by myself (since he was way more ripped than me). The new pump works like a charm. It's at least 50% bigger and can be serviced.

Anyway, thanks for the input from the forum. When ever I have a problem, I look for a user group forum. It's amazing how many have helped me. Sometimes I don't get a fix, but at least they have lowered my anxiety level.

Thanks again

Search this Thread