Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Error Message on my Generac 8kw

NY

06-17-17, 09:30 AM   #1  
Error Message on my Generac 8kw

I have a 4 year old NG generator. There was a yellow light on, and the control panel says "overcrank alarm stopped". I googled and it seemed to be a significant problem.
I called the company that does my maintenance and they said that the yellow light comes on every year to show that maintenance is necessary. He told me to turn the switch to manual. It started up on the second crank. Now the green light is on and the message is gone.

He says it is fine; it is simply time for my yearly maintenance.
1) Is that true? I have read that the error message meant it tried to come on but couldn't.
2) The manual says it need maintenance every 2 years (or after heavy use). Is one year better?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

06-17-17, 11:36 AM   #2  
they said that the yellow light comes on every year to show that maintenance is necessary.
Not as far as I've ever seen. I install them and service a couple of customers. My primary brand is Kohler.

Without any extended generator run times..... service every other year should be fine. On my customers units I change oil every year.

I know on the the single cylinder Generacs they are very sensitive to valve adjustment. In a cold weather start choke could also be an issue.

How many hours are on the set ?

~ Pete ~

CT

06-17-17, 06:49 PM   #3  
Sometime after 2008 Generac changed the oil and filter change period from 2 to 1 year. Since this time period value is part of the control module firmware, your machine will alert you (yellow light on) 2 years from the last reset. Maybe if you got a new control module, it would alert after 1 year. I am not sure why Generac changed this time period. Also not sure why 3 different oil viscosities are recommended for ambient temperature range of 0-100 degrees Fahrenheit as this would require 3 oil changes per year in most parts of the US if one wanted to follow recommendations.

Group Moderator

NJ

06-17-17, 07:21 PM   #4  
I am not sure why Generac changed this time period.
I've seen two newer units with broken connecting rods.
That could be one possible reason.

Thanks for the updated Generac info B.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread