Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

14HP Kohler k321 engine carb leaking after rebuild and after replacement

06-19-17, 07:20 AM   #1  
14HP Kohler k321 engine carb leaking after rebuild and after replacement

Hi, i have a carb that leaks on a 14hp kohler k321 engine into the air filter housing and down onto the exhaust and shop floor. I took the carb apart, verified free movement of float and needle valve, tapped needle valve with punch lightly to reseat it, put it back together, still leaks. I then swapped the carb with an old one of same model on the bench, presumed to be good. Still, the carb continued to leak. I then bought a new carb on amazon, and still, the carb leaks. With the air filter housing and filter out, engine off ofc, i can see the gas drip constantly from the air intake side of carb past the choke valve onto the exhaust and down onto the floor. The machine still runs, and has a fuel shut off, i am about to permanently condem the thing and just always use the shut off, but this is driving me insane. It is on a toro groundsmaster 300. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-19-17, 03:16 PM   #2  
The only thing that really makes sense and common to all three would be the fuel line. Gas will seap and creep in all sorts of strange ways so finding the exact source is not easy.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

06-21-17, 07:35 AM   #3  
I really dont think its fuel line looks dry and its dripping out of carb air intake flange(air filter and housing off)

I agree it doesnt make sense as well, gravity and suction fed carb there is no fuel pump

The carb on bench was unknown status, assumed good, carb on machine leaked, new carb was a cheap one from amazon so idk maybe it needs an oem carb... Or im missing something about this carb design, no carb has any other pathway than through the needle valve correct? When a carb drips from overflow tube where does this tube usually go? Above the fuek level in bowl? How is unfiltered air intake prevented from these overflow tubes?( this carb doesnt have an overflow tube just want more knowledge on carbs if anyone knows)

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-21-17, 11:23 AM   #4  
Motorcycle, ATV etc. type carbs have an internal over flow that runs out the bowl drain. Another thing that could cause this is the vent being plugged, trapped air will keep the float from rising enough to shut off fuel flow. Again these carbs are vented through the body so should not be common to all 3 carbs...unless you happen to have a vent tube that stays with the engine...

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

IA

06-22-17, 04:34 AM   #5  
if you notice this when running or immediately after shutoff, I would check the valve clearances, especially the intake valve. You may be getting a backwash from the intake not closing or a little out of time.

07-11-17, 06:51 AM   #6  
Valves

It doesnt leak when running its leaking out of air intake side of carb into air filter then to air filter housing then to ground/on exhaust, it leaks continually and slow while off so should rule out backwash from intake, there is no drain tube on it just the bowl drain you'd have to unscrew, we dont use the machine much( toro groundsmaster 300 with dethatching hydro cut units instead of reels on it) so for rest of season will just be using fuel shutoff and ill take a look again this winter

Will check for vent keeping air trapped in bowl but since it leaks on carb that was on it, one from shelf, and then again from new one(was an amazon one tho) cant see all haveing clogged vents yeah, will attempt to install prefilled with fuel to rule out trapped air keeping float down next but never heard of any special carb install procedure to prevent that

Its a real head scratcher for me and it drives me nuts when i cant figure something out so will return to this issue in late fall or winter, will post resolution if and when i ever find it, until then if anyones ever had an issue like this id be glad to hear from you, thanks for input everyone

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-11-17, 10:26 AM   #7  
I'd say you either have 3 carbs with the same problem, your bowl vent is being blocked by your filter housing or gasket, or you are building pressure in the tank enough to force fuel past the needle.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IA

07-11-17, 10:55 AM   #8  
I was reading this as a rebuild of the engine, but apparently it was the carburetor you reworked.

I think you'll find it's not coming from the carb but from outside it. With a gravity feed you only have the float valve to suspect and on three carbs, probably not.

Since it runs OK I'll bet it's external to the carb - a leaky line or the shutoff or tank.

OH

07-22-17, 06:23 PM   #9  
Kohler 321 Leaking Gas

From your description, I'm guessing that you have an old GREENSMASTER 300, not a Groundsmaster. Those old Greensmasters were notorious for over loading the springs on the carb needle valves, that was why there was a fuel shut off right below where the line connects to the tank, right? If you don't have everything 100% in the fuel inlet system, seat, needle valve, spring, float etc, you can guarantee a leak sooner or later....

Search this Thread