Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Corrosion on metal battery holder?

CANADA

06-19-17, 05:43 PM   #1  
Corrosion on metal battery holder?

I'm getting corrosion on a weird part of the battery not connected to any terminals. Any ideas what is causing this?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

06-19-17, 06:26 PM   #2  
Corrosive gasses from the battery while it is being charged? And there may also be a very tiny difference in potential that is also helping cause it.

My flat stamped steel hold down has been dong that since it was probably 5 yrs old. I clean it, wire brush it, sand it, acid dip it, neutralize it, paint it with regular paint, bedliner, flexible trim paint, plastidip, whatever. It still comes back eventually. Most times I just pour some cola on to clean it up a bit then rinse with water and forget about it til next time I have the hood up. I've got a rigid piece of plastic I'm going to try to modify next time and just replace the metal piece completely.

Don't know whether sealed batteries have the same issue...probably not.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-17, 06:49 PM   #3  
Battery acid coming from the caps and seeping across the top is contacting the metal bar and causing the corrosion. Overfull batteries or overcharging can contribute to this. I see traces of the wetness on top of the battery between the caps. Sealed batteries don't do it as much.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread