Toro weed eater

Old 06-25-17, 05:44 PM
Toro weed eater

I have a Toro 18 inch straight shaft gas trimmer model 51974, 25.4 cc Engine/Evap Family : AHCPS 0254TA Mfg date 12-09-10, ECS: OC P. Techtronic Industries North America.

It was running fine last week and it just choked out while I was using it. I have rebuilt the carb with new gaskets, diaphragm, needle, screen and cleaned it out as well as I could without using carb cleaner(it was full of gunk). I also replaced all fuel lines, and a new primer bulb, and emptied the old gas and mixed up a new batch at 50:1 (2.6 oz oil to 1 gallon gas) Now it will only run between full and half choke. When I switch the choke lever to "run", it chokes out and dies.

I have looked all over the carb and can't find a mixture screw anywhere. There are only 3 screws on the carb, 1 is obviously the idle speed screw, and the other 2 are the screws that hold the actual throttle body cylinder into the center of the carburetor. I looked closely at both of them to find an L or H, but no markings of any kind.

I'm about 30 minutes away from throwing it in my burn barrel and seeing what happens next... Please help me anyone. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-17, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some of these type carburetors have a small plastic round plug that you can pluck out with a pick or sharp knife and there is a jet or mixture screw under that plug. I can't recall the exact location but if it has one, you can tell when you search the carb body for it.

Old 06-26-17, 03:37 AM
There should be a filter attached to the end of the gas line in the tank. Replace it. Also clean the spark arrester screen located on the engine side of the muffler (requires removing muffler). Good luck.

Old 06-26-17, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I will be doing both of these things today and I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-26-17, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had one that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 - he said it didn't work anymore. I figured it would give me something to tinker with as I wanted a straight shaft trimmer to do my ditches, the curved one hurt my back. I started it up and it would not get to full speed. Took the muffler off and it ran beautiful. Turns out the spark arrester screen was so full of carbon deposits that the engine couldn't breath. Took a torch to the screen and it has run beautifully ever since.

Old 06-26-17, 08:08 AM
while the engine is running spray/dribble son carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb and along all mating surfaces if the engine tempo changes you have an air leak and can take the appropriate action. Have a good one. Geo