23 hp briggs&stratton don't shut off

Old 07-10-17, 08:22 AM
23 hp briggs&stratton don't shut off

i have a huskavarna lawn tractor when i turn off the key the engine wants to keep running until it runs out of fuel also it is not charging. i have replaced the ingition switch and solenoid. with no luck.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-17, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you might have the ignition switch wired incorrectly or some other wiring problem. Post your mower's model and serial numbers and the experts will be able to answer any specific questions you might have.

Old 07-10-17, 10:15 AM
thank you it is a gth2654 still looking for the serial #. i did not change any wires just pluged the new switch in. also just changed the voltage regulator.

Old 07-10-17, 11:08 AM
All the " off" position on the switch does to actually kill the engine is to connect the kill circuit from the ignition coils to ground.

If you have the solenoid on the carburetor it would cut the current it. That prevents after running and backfiring after shut off. It doesn't control fuel to the carburetor, but controls movement of fuel through the carb. It has to work, but it's not responsible for the actually shutoff of the engine.

The kill circuit is for shutting down the ignition.

Since the engine is running OK the circuit from the coils to the switch to ground has a break in it. It may be the way you have wired the switch.

Old 07-10-17, 11:56 AM
i did not change any wiring. just unplugged the old switch and plugged in the new one. it was doing this before that is why i changed the switch.

Old 07-10-17, 12:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a wire going to both coils that has probably come unplugged or might be broken. Sometimes it gets squeezed between the starter and the block and gets cut there.

Old 07-10-17, 02:56 PM
checked and they are both plugged in and the wires look good. it moves freely between the starter and block

Old 07-10-17, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Then it is not being grounded by the switch. Check for loose or broken ground wires at the battery, engine mounting bolts, and solenoid mounting bolts.

Old 07-10-17, 06:40 PM
thank you t will look at that tomorrow.

Old 07-10-17, 07:31 PM
At the first connection after the coils, take that apart and check for continuity going toward the switch (with the switch turned off) to ground. The ohms value should be a little over zero.

If that checks out, go the other direction toward the spark plugs. Check at the break to the lead wires at the spark plugs. You should have continuity there too. One of your circuits will show faulty. Probably the one going towards the switch to ground. The kill circuit may not be passing the switch to a grounding wire or the wire may not be grounded on the far side of the switch.

Old 07-11-17, 08:07 AM
thank you i will try that.

Old 07-12-17, 04:12 AM
everything checks out right.this makes ho sense to me.but it has to be in the wiring somewhere because im still not charging either.

Old 07-12-17, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by rich2
". . . it has to be in the wiring somewhere because im still not charging either . . ."
Is it possible that some wires were reversed when you replaced the Ignition Switch ?

I once burned out an ignition coil when re-wiring a former recoil starter mower to an electric start, and mixed up a couple wires in the wiring harness.

The lack of a charge circuit together with the absence of a kill switch is a clue that somethings reversed.

Old 07-12-17, 10:40 AM
That is unusual. With the coils grounded they can't fire, without regards to the charging system. If you took the small wire coming from the coils, separated it at the break and led that circuit to ground, the engine would die from no spark. It can't work any other way short of a gremlin.

The charging system has nothing to do with that ignition system. It only works on the battery/accessories. The ignition is self contained with the coils, plugs, and the kill circuit.

Old 07-12-17, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it keep running normally or does it buck and chug (diesel?) If the latter check your fuel solenoid to see if it is stuck open...
I just had one today on a Kohler and it would diesel when it was hot...usually these stick closed and the engine will not start, I think this was the first one I found stuck open.