Decipher Murray manufacturing date?

Old 07-10-17, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Decipher Murray manufacturing date?

Well, looks like my 30" Murray mid-engine rider is headed for the last roundup. Died while cutting this weekend and I think it's a goner; coughs a couple of times when I crank it, but won't idle/run. Checked the easy stuff with no luck.

Anyway, I'm just curious how old it is since I can't remember how long we've had it. The Manufacture date on the ID plate says "01086". I'm thinking we got it in 2001, so might that be the "01" in the number?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-17, 09:20 AM
That looks like it rolled off the assembly line on the 86th day of 2001.

You wouldn't chuk it just for some carburation problems, would you ?

I have a Murray (1973 AMF) from 1973 which is on its third engine and third mowing deck (among other things) and it keeps on chugging along, like an old friend.

Old 07-10-17, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines as to the date. If I was sure it was carburetion, I would probably have a go at it. I pulled the carb, disassembled and gave it a good cleaning. No apparent issues, passages open, nothing appeared clogged. Also put new plug in just for kicks. Still won't run. I even tried coaxing it to run with some squirts of carb cleaner while cranking; had no effect, still coughs a couple times and then nada. Pulled the head off this morning to check for serious issues, but everything looked okay considering the age; valves go up and down, etc. Put back together with new gasket, no change.

It's pretty beat all over. Had to bolt a metal bracket across a crack on the main chassis last month. Tires are about gone, too. Brakes have been inop for couple of years. Current battery is dead (been jumping it off). I replaced the mower deck about 5-6 years ago (luckily found one on ebay at a good price, because IF you can find one they are really pricey on this model and aren't made anymore). About the same time I had the transmission apart to fix a jammed shifter; it was pretty gunked up inside but after a good cleaning and fresh lube that end has been trouble-free.

All in all I think it's pretty tired.

Old 07-10-17, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Your mowing season is probably a little shorter than mine, LOL.

Old 07-10-17, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
". . . Your mowing season is probably a little shorter than mine . . ."
True; but a couple weeks after the mowing stops, we start snow blowing season.

Old 07-11-17, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
You have to help snow to blow?

Old 07-11-17, 11:55 AM
We do; it's something like 12' per year . . . . but not all at once.

Old 07-11-17, 06:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You said you checked the easy stuff... I'm guessing you tried the spark plug, right? With the other stuff you've done, there can't be much more holding it back from running.

Old 07-12-17, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
Yes. New plug, that was in my earlier post. Did that when I had the carb off for cleaning.

If this had been end of mowing season, I would probably have tinkered with it over the winter.

Academic now, sold it the other day to a local guy via Craigs list with same model needing a deck and transmission (probably the only 2 remaining components with life left in them). What are the odds of that?

Old 07-12-17, 08:53 AM
Had you already sold it when you started this thread ?

Old 07-12-17, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
No. Just sold it yesterday. I really only started the thread for the manufacture date question.

Old 07-12-17, 12:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see where you replaced it, I skimmed over that before.
That's cool that you found someone needing the only parts that were good. I don't think I've seen one that didn't need a deck in years. I rarely see them anymore at all. They were pretty good mowers for the money though. Glad you found someone who needed it, keeping another one out of the landfill for a little while.

Old 07-12-17, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Well part of the problem with the previous deck that I replaced was that I wasn't nearly attentive enough in keeping grass and crap from accumulating on it and getting the rust started on it in the first place. Won't make that mistake again.