Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help replacing simplicity snowblower auger shaft oil seals

CT

07-12-17, 07:12 PM   #1  
Help replacing simplicity snowblower auger shaft oil seals

Simplicity Snowblower
Model: 1691413

Last winter one of my snow tire chains came off, i ran it over, and it got stuck in the auger. I was able to remove it, and all is well.

However, I think that event damaged one of the auger housing oil seals, since it leaks now.

I got two new seals today, but it looks like seals have a metal protective cover. How do I remove this cover so that I can replace the seals? I can't tell if it unscrews, or presses out. The attached picture is of the seal cover that isn't dented/damaged.

Name:  simplicity.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  51.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-12-17, 07:52 PM   #2  
It looks similar to an auto inner wheel bearing seal which is pressed into the hub. To remove it, I would mount it backwards on the shaft, put the nut on it & pull it. Not being able to see all the parts, I don't know if something similar can be done. In other words, you would be pushing it out from the other side.

CT

07-12-17, 10:07 PM   #3  
Success, thank you. They just pressed out. The outside of the old seals looked a little different from the new ones, the old ones were indented in a very uniform way, as you can see on the old seal on the right.

Name:  simplicity2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  50.5 KB

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-13-17, 06:07 AM   #4  
Well done.
_________
_________

Search this Thread