craftsman lt1500 wheels toe in

Old 07-13-17, 01:24 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
craftsman lt1500 wheels toe in

Picked up a 3 yr old riding mower for $150 and the front wheels both toe in. How do I fix it on this cheap mower? It runs well and cuts well but is really loud. Idles and throttles very well, just loud. Is there a muffler gasket I could replace to quiet it down?

Old 07-13-17, 03:36 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to clarify, you have 2 problems. One is the toe in & the other is the muffler. Is that correct? An old toe in trick is to use an old style car radio aerial/antenna to measure the distance between the inside of the back of the front wheels & the distance between the inside of the front of the front wheels. The distance between the inside of the front of the front wheels should be 1/16 less. Now that I have totally confused you, I'm sure that someone else can say it better.

The loudness of the exhaust can be caused by anything. Look more closely.

Old 07-13-17, 04:02 PM
D
I understand your explanation completely. Yes. I do have to separate issues. New to riding mowers and the two of have experience with just recently reveals a huge difference in sound between the two. I will look at the muffler closely and see if I notice any cracks or anything. Could not pass on a 3 yr old mower for $150.

Old 07-13-17, 04:30 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm sure that it was a good deal. When you check the exhaust, listen to where the noise is the loudest. Then put your hand close to the pipe but don't touch it. You'll might feel the exhaust, on your hand. Be careful not to get burned.

Old 07-13-17, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Commonly the muffler blows apart on these and you'll need a new one if that's the case.

The toe in can be caused by split welds on the sides of the place where the kingpin or front spindle goes through the front axle housing. Toe out is more common and caused when the rod that runs from one wheel to the other gets bent. If this is your situation, take it off and straighten it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: