Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need advice removing stubborn mower deck adjustment wing nut

MO

07-13-17, 04:58 PM   #1  
Need advice removing stubborn mower deck adjustment wing nut

I need to know how to remove a "wing nut" (for lack of a better term) like this one from my mower deck.

Best I can figure it's mostly hard rubber bonded to a hex nut to make it possible to tighten/loosen the nut underneath by hand. The one just like this only on the other side sort of stripped out. The rubber part seems to have turned loose of the nut underneath. I could tell because when I tried to tighten/loosen it, the wings would jump at increments of about 60 degrees but the adjusting nut didn't seem to be moving at all.

One of the wings helped out by breaking off so I decided to take a chisel to it to see if I could cut away the rubber, but that's getting me nowhere. Part of the problem is that I'm working in a confined space because there's only certain angles I can swing a hammer to drive the chisel from. I've got the one on the other side thoroughly boogered up but don't seem to be making any progress toward gaining access to the nut underneath.

Any ideas how I might remove enough rubber to be able to adjust this by putting a wrench directly on the nut?

EDIT:
I should add that in the time I've been pounding on it, the outer rubber part has stopped the jerky moving and now spins smoothly (but with difficulty). I also tried grasping it from the end with a pair of channel locks and trying to 'wiggle' it and maybe slide the rubber part off of the nut but that has ha zero noticeable effect.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NC

07-13-17, 05:07 PM   #2  
pRETTY COMMON PROBLEM WITH THOSE KINDS OF NUTS. yOU WILL JUST HAVE TO BREAK OFF THE PLASTIC PART AND USE A WRENCH. (sorry cap lock key)

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-17, 05:49 PM   #3  
I've had a few of those plastic nuts do the same thing. Take a propane torch and soften the plastic around the nut while pulling it with pliers and it will quickly melt enough to pull off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

07-14-17, 12:17 PM   #4  
Excellent, gents! Thanks for the help!

"Propane" always was my favorite Clapton song. I thought about heating it but didn't have a warm fuzzy about doing it until I knew for certain what lay underneath. I probably got carried away with the propane because it caught fire, but the flames were small enough they didn't endanger the rest of the mower so I let it burn itself out, then pulled the residue off with channel locks.

It had two nuts securing it and the outer one was a flange nut with the flange on the wrong side. So I removed it and turned it around so I could but a socket wrench on it. Removing it also served the purpose of chasing the threads on the bolt where I had mangled them with the chisel.

Now it's better'n new. Much obliged!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-17-17, 10:50 AM   #5  
Glad you got it, thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread