Toro drive clutch won't disengage

Old 07-14-17, 06:40 AM
Toro drive clutch won't disengage

I have a toro 832 Model #56138 (1986) rear engine rider that has run perfectly until recently when it started having problems shifting it into different gears. I jacked up the mower to see if a belt had started to disintegrate, or if a belt guide had hado slipped out of position, but neither was the case. This is a very simple system where if you depress the clutch ,an idler releases the belt tension o n the belt between the engine and transmission. The belt appears to have plenty of play in it to stop moving when the clutch is depressed but obviously it is not. I ordered a new belt, but wonder if I am missing something?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-17, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The hew belt may fix the problem. What happens is the cloth sheathing around the belt gets worn thin or away and the rubber of the belt starts to try to grab even when the belt is loose (the cloth allows it to slip easily). The grabbing belt puts a little tension on the pulley which makes it hard to shift the transmission. I don't know if that's what's happening in your case, but it's a common scenario.

Old 07-14-17, 10:53 AM
Drive Clutch won't disengage

That has to be it. I thought I knew it all about Toro Parts, but I had never heard about that happening before. the belt looks almost new, but being the only owner, I know it has never been replaced. I will post back when the new belt gets installed next week.