Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thoughts on EGO v Kobalt cordless mowers?

KS

07-25-17, 10:49 AM   #1  
Thoughts on EGO v Kobalt cordless mowers?

My old mower just died, and unless I can get it fixed cheaply (see my other thread) I'll be buying a new mower soon. It looks like cordless electric mowers are finally "making the cut" for a lawn of my size. My yard is about 1/3 acre.

I'm down to two models in stock at Home Depot and Lowes. Both are $450, self-propelled, with 21" decks. Both weigh about 60 pounds.

Home Depot has the highly rated Ego LM2101 which comes with one 5 amp 56 volt battery. That is 280 watts. Supposedly provides about 45 minutes of mowing time. Comes with rapid charger that recharges in about 40 minutes. Plastic deck.

Lowes has the Kobalt KM2180B-06 (supposedly identical manufacturer and performance as Greenworks) which comes with two 2 amp 80 volt batteries. That is 320 watts total. Supposedly provides about 30 minutes of mowing time per battery. Charger takes about 30 minutes to recharge. Steel deck. Slightly larger wheels than the Ego.

Both offer compatible blowers and trimmers if I want to expand the family down the line.

Haven't found a specific face-off of these two mowers. Do you have any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-25-17, 03:49 PM   #2  
IMO, it's a no brainer. Take the mower with 2 batteries. I had the same choice with a cordless drill.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-25-17, 04:12 PM   #3  
I can only give opinion as well however, I have seen the EGO commercials and have been thinking about something like this for my Mom. She used to mow some just for the exercise with her green weenie...plain little old 20" weedeater push with classic 3.5 HP briggs, but @ 73 yo, 5' and 105 lbs, she just can't pull enough to start it on her own even though it is a one pull start for me.
I don't know much if anything about either EGO or Kobalt other than Kobalt I know is a brand that Lowes sells, whether it is exclusive to them or not..???

Watts = consumption not HP or torque. In this case Volts is HP but Amps is torque. To reference the difference, HP is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Some things I would and will look for:
Construction, cables, belts wheels...etc. How accessible, sealed, available etc.
Dunno about the Kobalt, but from the commercial, I liked how the EGO was easy to fold and hang on a wall or stand up in a corner.

Hope you report back with you decision and experience.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

KS

07-26-17, 06:41 AM   #4  
I've decided on the EGO. The one big selling point of the Kobalt is the two batteries, but at only 2 amp each I hear I'll only get 30 minutes run time out of each, which means a lot of swapping and charging.

The EGO seems to get the very best reviews of all the evaluations. People are raving about this thing. A friend of mine bought one a few months ago and swears he can mow his entire yard (about 45 minutes) with plenty of juice to spare on the one 5 amp battery. At about 12,000 square feet, my yard is more of an hour long job, but I'm hopeful I can get it all done in one go.

Oh and I used the wrong terminology - neither of these models is self-propelled. For that I'd have to step up to the $600 EGO model that comes with a 7.5 amp battery, but I just don't think I'll need it. The bigger battery would be nice but I only have a short slope on each side of the house and I hear that this mower is so much lighter that self-propel really isn't necessary.

CAL

07-26-17, 08:25 AM   #5  
Have you looked into the cost of replacing the battery. At $260.00 each for the batteries that would be a deal breaker for me with the luck I have been having with batteries lately. YMMV

KS

07-26-17, 12:52 PM   #6  
Oh yeah that's a small concern but Li-Ion battery tech is getting more and more reliable. I've got 5yo Ryobi li-ion batts that I use/charge every week for drill, blower, and trimmer and they are still working seemingly as well as when I bought them! And, if the battery does fail a few years down the road, chances are there will be a replacement (oem or generic) available then for much cheaper than they're going for now. Also I think these batteries are warrantied for 3 or 5 years.

MO

07-26-17, 01:10 PM   #7  
just curious what is your reasons for going electric over gas, suppose less noise maybe?
think battery cost would probably prevent me from ever buying one either, that and cost can get a self propelled gas model for that price and most gas mowers have a long life with very little maintenance and repairs.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-27-17, 07:30 PM   #8  

gas model for that price and most gas mowers have a long life with very little maintenance and repairs.
That will keep me in work for years to come I am pro battery for many smaller OPE.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

WA

07-27-17, 11:01 PM   #9  
My daddy, may he rest in peace, always bought the least expensive mower from K-mart. He would run that thing until it died, generally getting a minimum of five and more often, eight years of service with no maintenance other than blade sharpening and adding oil and gasoline. My friend, Bert, may he also rest in peace, bought a top-of-the-line Honda for well over $600. (this was at least a decade ago) and then spent about $120 a year on maintenance. Both had yards of about the same size, standard 5,000 square foot city lots with about the same size houses.

I lived in a small house with a shy 1/4 acre yard, mostly in grass. I bought a Sunbeam 19 inch electric and ran it til it died, about 10-12 years. I then got a Black & Decker battery operated mower which I still have after almost 20 years. This afternoon I picked up (free) an identical mower which looks brand new. The people getting rid of it simply stated it wouldn't run and I haven't yet done any troubleshooting (haven't even taken it out of the car yet) but I doubt it will be anything other than dead batteries, probably caused by inattention of the previous owner.

My personal opinion is that for most people a battery-operated mower is all they need unless their yard is more than 10,000 square feet.

KS

08-04-17, 02:09 PM   #10  
I decided to try the Kobalt mainly because of price. It starts at $449, but after using a 10% off coupon I bought online for $1.99, and another 11% rebate (in form of a Lowes GC) promotion currently running, it brought my price down to well under $400, tax included. By contrast, Home Depot just raised the price of the EGO LM2101 (push version) back up to $499.

I may actually buy the EGO, too, just to perform a comparison test, but here are my experiences with the Kobalt so far....

1. The fact that the Kobalt comes with two batteries is a huge plus. Granted, those batteries are only 2 amps (at 80v) and only last about 30 minutes in normal mowing conditions (taller grass will shorten that runtime to closer to 20 minutes), but they also charge in about 30 minutes! So, even though you'll have to swap batteries at least one time for anything but a small yard, you'll never be sitting around waiting for batteries to recharge.

2. Both Kobalt and EGO tout that the motor adapts to the cutting needs to save power. For the Kobalt, this basically means two speeds. It starts on low speed and kicks into high speed as needed. For my lawn, which is quite thick and had slightly higher than normal grass, it spent most of the time on high speed. This will obviously drain the battery quicker.

3. It took me three batteries-worth (two swaps) to mow my roughly 12,000 sqft lawn. It is possible that I might be able to squeak by on 2 under normal conditions. By contrast, the EGO's 4 amp battery will last longer (especially at only 56v), but I'm betting that still wouldn't satisfy my entire yard in one charge, and because the EGO only comes with one battery, I'd be sitting around waiting to recharge. (Extra batteries are currently several hundred dollars for both the Kobalt and EGO).

4. The Kobalt appears solidly constructed. Steel deck, but still much lighter than a conventional gas mower. I have no difficulty pushing it up hills. I regret that it is single lever deck adjustment - I prefer being able to adjust each wheel (comes in handy when mowing on curbs).

5. It is super quiet, especially when on the lawn.

6. At 80v, the Kobalt is just barely powerful enough to perform a decent cut and mulch. Lawn striping is not as pronounced as with my heavier gas mower. It does not have nearly the suction of a gas mower, but it still does an adequate job cutting and mulching the grass. It does not perform as well as a gas mower mulching stuff already in the grass, like leaves and twigs. This makes me question the performance of the EGO, which is less powerful at only 56v and is subject to complaints of not properly mulching thick lawns and leaving a line of clippings.

7. All in all I'm pleased with the Kobalt. This could be an even better solution as the price of Li-ion batteries comes down (assuming Kobalt sells a larger but compatible battery in a few years).

Finally, I should note one more time that my lawn may be a bit different than yours. I have a very lush, thick fescue yard. Thinner yards with shorter grass will likely see significantly higher runtime.

Search this Thread