Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Steering issue on Craftsman Model #917273012 Lawn, Tractor

CT

08-01-17, 04:31 AM   #1  
Steering issue on Craftsman Model #917273012 Lawn, Tractor

Hello,

New to the forum here.

I have a Model #917273012 CRAFTSMAN Lawn, Tractor that I inherited from the previous owners of the house. It has worked ok until earlier this year, when the steering began slipping. Essentially I can turn right, but when I try to turn left it just slips or skips and the wheels don't turn much at all.

What would you guys recommend I assess as I work through fixing this issue? Would this likely be from the draglink? Are there certain things I should/could check before I start purchasing anything?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

VT

08-01-17, 05:00 AM   #2  
Did you also inherit the Owner's Manual ?

Sometimes, you can just tighten up the bevel gear(s) in the steering box.

MI

08-01-17, 05:21 AM   #3  
I lost my connection to their site, and have to leave shortly anyway, but go to searspartsdirect.com, type in the model number, 917.273012, which should help you nail it down. Rather than something like a drag link though, assuming normal wear and no major run-ins with foreign obstacles, I would suspect item #29, a bushing, in the steering breakdown, and there is probably something similar near the bottom of the shaft, maybe on a separate breakdown, but I only got that far before I lost the connection. And. I'm sure the connection failure was on my end, not theirs because it's a good site, so don't worry about that. Anyway, wiggle your steering wheel a bit while watching the shaft, and I think you will probably see that it is wobbling such that the gear and sector at the bottom of the shaft don't stay engaged. You'll probably want to pull the deck off to work on this.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-01-17, 09:55 AM   #4  
You'll want to replace the bushings on the steering column and the sector gear shaft and depending on how much it was used like that, you may need to replace the gears if they have stripped and worn down too much.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

08-09-17, 09:52 AM   #5  
How can you tell if the bushing on the steering column is bad? nothing stands out to me? Could it be bad but not something you can visually see? It looks like a production to replace it, but I don't mind doing so if there is any level of confidence that may be the source.

The section gear looks ok, as in the gears aren't really pointed, but rather flat. The section gear appears to pull away from the gear on the steering wheel when I try to turn it left. Does that sound like a bushing issue?

THanks!

CT

08-09-17, 10:04 AM   #6  
AKA,

the steering wheel doesn't seem to wobble much. Is it possible for the section gear to for some reason be loose and therefore not stay in the same spot when turned? I thought it may be the cap screw that wasn't tight enough to hold the section gear in place, but it seems tight as hell. If I Push up on the section gear with my hand, the I can see the screw rise up from the hole on the support mount. This made me think that the screw wasn't tightened. I wonder if a bearing or washer broke off now keeping the section gear cap screw from remaining flush with the support mount. could this make sense?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-10-17, 01:09 AM   #7  
Sounds like the sector gear bushings are worn, allowing the sector gear to move away from the column gear. I'd replace all the related bushings in that assembly.

CRAFTSMAN TRACTOR Parts | Model 917273012 | Sears PartsDirect

God bless!

LA

08-13-17, 01:24 AM   #8  
I have done a few John Deere's with that same problem.

The guy that owned was left handed LOL ....... All the ones I have have seen the gear is flat on one side. Too bad they are not reverseable.

Take the shaft out and change the gear and sector plate. You should be good to go.

That gear is a pain in the a$$ to take off. Heat from a small torch does the trick to take it off though .....

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-17, 01:50 AM   #9  
I wouldn't do that without changing the bushings or the new ones will be shot in short order.

God bless!

MI

08-13-17, 04:16 AM   #10  
I probably don't have as much experience as the others in this area, but enough to agree with Cheese that the bushings should be changed, regardless of whatever else you replace. I mentioned wobble previously, and was probably a little out of bounds because in retrospect I guess I'm not sure how much you can actually see or feel until you get it apart, but am pretty sure you will see where the bushings are wobbled a bit once you have them out. Whether the sector and/or gear are worn as well is another matter, but you will see that the shaft does not have to move a lot to allow them to disengage from each other, and all that is keeping them engaged are those bushings.

LA

08-13-17, 02:25 PM   #11  
I didn't mention bushings to keep the post short. Bushings are a must to put on.

Like putting new chrome on somrthing with the old rusty bolts and screws ~!~!

Search this Thread