Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Generator - pop noise when starting - then starts and runs

Non-US

08-09-17, 10:43 AM   #1  
Honda Generator - pop noise when starting - then starts and runs

Hello,

I've been reading a few threads here re. small engine backfiring, and/or making popping noise while shutting the motor down. I haven't quite seen anything on making the popping noise while starting. So I'm not sure what to do in my situation.

Background:

I have a Honda generator, Model EM3000c (bought in 2000). It's been running perfectly well since then. I use it at the summer cottage occasionally (20-30hrs) to power my tools (saws, drills, etc). I also maintain it well - oil changes, clean air filter, spark plug, etc. At the end of the season - I add a fuel stabilizer into the gasoline.

Problem:

I've been using it for the past 2 weeks this summer - everything fine. Then just yesterday, the generator made a LOUD pop at the exhaust when I tried to start it. It didn't start in the first pull. So - I pulled the cord again. There was no pop and it started and ran fine.

As a "quick fix" and without searching the web, I changed the spark plug. The old plug was dry (from any fuel) and not particularly "dirty".

I pulled the cord again - no problem- no pop and ran fine.

Then the second time starting the generator - the loud pop sound came back.

I pulled it once more - it started OK and ran fine.

Question:

What's causing the popping at the start of the engine? What do I need to do to fix it?

Curiously - why doesn't it happen "every time" I pull the rip-cord?

What can I check on the engine?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

IA

08-09-17, 02:36 PM   #2  
I would say a valve sticking open. You might try an oil flush or put some two stroke oil in gas 40:1 wouldn't hurt for a short time. Or put some Sea Foam in the gas.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-10-17, 01:14 AM   #3  
Try a new plug. Champion or autolite recommended. If it continues, we can go further. Could be a sticking valve too like marbobj suggested.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread