Cub Cadet 2135 Rider w/ Kohler CH13 Keeps Stalling

Old 08-20-17, 06:29 PM
Question Cub Cadet 2135 Rider w/ Kohler CH13 Keeps Stalling

What is happening is the tractor will stall while cutting. I have to wait anywhere from 30 mins to over an hour before it will start again. What is strange is when I hear it dogging, and I disengage the PTO it will keep running. It still dogs for a while, but won't stall. If I re engage the PTO after a couple of minutes it will dog and stall if I don't disengage it. If I wait for a while and start cutting again it will give me more than a couple of minutes cut time ... more like 20 min. I have the gas cap loose because it causes the it to stall if I have it on too tight.

Any idea what I need to do to correct this? Thanks for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-17, 03:27 AM
That type of thing can be ignition when the coil/module heats up and gradually fails. After cooling it regains its functionality for a while. Those doing that are generally nearing the end.

The other thing is fuel flow to the carburetor, which is the most likely in your case. Since you have better luck with the gas cap loose, the fuel flow from the tank is probably the problem. The tank may need cleaned, but a new cap may take care of it.

The effect of the PTO engaging is the extra load it puts on the engine = uses more fuel. That being restricted the engine would stall.

Old 08-21-17, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may also have a collapsed fuel line, clogged filter, or blocked inlet at the carb restricting fuel flow.

Old 08-26-17, 01:15 PM
Arrow Checking it out

There are some bugs floating in the gas tank I would think it could use some cleaning. I have to see if I can find some info on how to remove it. I changed the fuel filter when it first start stalling, but I will check it out again. The fuel line that is visible doesn't looked like it is collapsed.

I will post when I have more info ... just want to update the progress.

Old 08-26-17, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can't look at a fuel line to tell if the inside is collapsed.

Old 08-28-17, 12:52 PM
Arrow Looks like hard work

I would have to remove parts of the tractor to get to all the fuel line an the gas tank correct? That would be a pretty big endeavor. What are the chances of replacing the fuel cap to solve the problem?

I have an off topic question ... my friend has one of the zero turn cub cadets with the 24 HP. It is about 3 years old and he was using it to cut some extremely tall weeds ... about 8ft. After he did that the machine will no longer go to full throttle. Can you say if it is some major or minor problem. Thanks.

OMG you guys changed the format of the site .... I'm frighten.

Old 08-28-17, 03:53 PM
Tell him to check under the deck for weeds/grass wrapped up around the blade spindles.

Old 08-29-17, 01:23 PM
Arrow New Gas Cap Needed?

Wellsir ... I ran the tractor with the gas cap completely off and it did not stall at all, for the 2.5 hour cut. It is safe to say it's the gas cap?

Thanks for the info marbobj.

Old 08-29-17, 02:28 PM
More like it's likely to be the gas cap. It could still be a collapsed fuel line. With a working cap you have a little more vacuum inside the line to pull the inner layer in than with no cap at all. Try the new cap and hopefully that takes care of it. If the problem resurfaces go to the fuel lines.

Search this Thread