Kubota 326 diesel question

Old 08-23-17, 06:12 PM
Kubota 326 diesel question

does anybody know where the Spark Plugs are at?
I been looking i see 3 looks like plugs but not like a rep plugs.
It has bolts on it??
I cant figure it out
Tks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-17, 06:59 PM
ok i fig out no spark plugs but glow plugs..
now i got to learn how to change a glow plug....

Old 08-23-17, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
I removed spark plugs from the title.

Kubota 326 is a generic model number. There should be letters too. Like ZD.

A glow plug changes just like a spark plug. You remove the wire and terminal. Use a deep socket to unscrew it from the block.

Have you tested them.... you're sure they're bad ?
A more typical problem is failure of the glow plug relay.

If you are servicing this expensive machine yourself... you should invest in the service manual.

Attached Images  
Old 08-23-17, 11:05 PM
would a bad glow plug cause the ZD326 not to start??
i got fuel coming from the filter to the engine.
can't figure why else it will not start..... it was running hot i did not notice and was away from the shop/ water and thought i could get back ok but it died on me and would not start...

what is the glow plug relay how u check that if u don't mind telling me..
and thank you for the reply come back..

Old 08-24-17, 04:08 AM
If you take a glow plug out and ground the case, then turn the key on the plug should heat up.

Old 08-24-17, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
So, the engine was overheating before it quit? You saw that it was low on coolant? If that is the case it's likely that something simple like a glow plug is the problem. And, in warm weather it will start without the glow plugs. You'll have to crank it over a time or two more than usual but it will start.

First, why did the engine overheat? Were the radiator screens plugged with dust and grass clippings? Is there a coolant leak? Was it just low on coolant?

Does the starter motor engage when you turn the key? If not then check for a blown fuse. If coolant got blown out look for any electrical connections that may have gotten soaked and need cleaning out.

If the starter engages does the engine still turn over or is it seized? If the starter can turn the engine over there is hope. If it turns over but doesn't start are you seeing any smoke black or white out of the exhaust as you crank? If not look on the side of the engine for the fuel cutoff solenoid. When you turn the ignition key from off to the run position you should see it move which will allow fuel to flow.

Old 08-24-17, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
f that is the case it's likely that something simple like a glow plug is the problem.
I think PD meant that it isn't likely that it's something that simple

Old 08-24-17, 11:37 AM
PD yes i do see a puff of white smoke each time it turns over??
fraid to ask what that means

yes it turns the motor over and almost fires..

guys thank you for helping me on this one<<<

Old 08-24-17, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
The engine turns over which is good. It means it's not seized and the starter is working. The puffs of white smoke, if it smells like diesel, means it's getting fuel which is another good sign. Now I'm thinking two things. It's turning over too slow due to a weak battery or the glow pugs are not working.

Old 08-24-17, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
I agree on the glow plugs not firing.

If you have an ohmmeter..... remove the center wire and test from the threaded part to ground. You should see a low resistance. If you see no continuity or measured resistance then the glow plug is open and defective.

You could check for voltage on them when first turning the key on but without a service manual I don't know what voltage you'd measure. Some glow plug systems run on a higher voltage than the battery voltage.

Old 08-24-17, 06:26 PM
i do have the battery charger on it now and i had another new starter and i put it on..
i looked at it while ago it is blowing out dark gray smoke when it fires....

Kubota place had only 1 glow plug I bought it took the box to auto zone and he got the number off and 2 more will be here at 8am
now i got a wife fussing about the yard. i got 4 acres and got about 1 acre left to cut..
i told her shut da hale up we got big problems

Kubota guy told me put the pos charger on the top and the neg on the middle.
if its working it will heat up orange...

could it be a safety switch i wonder that to
got a fellow coming in the morning after we eat breakfast.
he said he knows all bout glow plugs and we will get it going..

SO LETS SEE

Old 08-25-17, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
If you are getting puffs of diesel smelling smoke out the exhaust when you crank the engine then it should not be a safety switch. The puffs mean the engine is getting fuel. So, the starter is working and the engine is getting fuel which both say the safety system is not stopping the engine from running.

How fast does the engine turn over? Does it sound good and fast or is it barely or slowly turning over?

I don't think you glow plugs are bad. Even if one went bad you still have two others to get the engine started. You need to pull one and hook it back up to it's wires. Hold the threaded part of the plug to bare metal on the engine. Turn the ignition key to the run position. The plug tip should glow bright orange to yellow and after 5-10 seconds there should be a "click" sound and the plug will go out.

Old 08-25-17, 07:32 AM
my bud came over this morning and we checked the injectors for fuel coming in and there was fuel coming in./
put a meter on all glow plugs and they were working...

Now how do you get it to free wheel. I looked in the manual did not find it.
my xmark had 2 levers I turned.. i looked under the seat..
so i pulled it up to the house with my 4 wheeler and pushed it on my tilt trailer..

afraid i got a cylinder gone bad or so my bud said. it tries to start..
I hate the Kubota place that guy is a crook or seems to be..
a fellow told me John Deer will fix it so I took i there, he tells me we don't work on Orange Paint engines..
but we will look it over see whats wrong with it for you..

So that is where Im at on this

Old 08-25-17, 08:04 AM
On my Huskvarna there are two metal rods that stick out the back
of the pumps, just pull them out and lock in a little groove.

Never looked at a Kubota.

Old 08-25-17, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Any diesel mechanic will be able to work on your engine. It's a very standard diesel so there is no need for the dealer.

Old 08-25-17, 10:11 AM
With the low water and not starting it could have a blown headgasket. If there doesn't appear to be an external leak, I would take off the radiator cap and see if you're getting compression blowing back into the cooling. If you have the glow plugs out, spinning the engine over may blow some coolant out a plug hole.

Old 08-25-17, 03:06 PM
JOHN DEER has it now he said a couple of weeks,, they wont do heads or rings he said they wouid just try to get it going which is great.. now i got to find somebody to finish my acre of grass to cut..

Thank all you guys for your input and help on this...
David
Tennessee