Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yamaha MZ360 Quality and Part Availability ?

NJ

08-24-17, 06:20 AM   #1  
Yamaha MZ360 Quality and Part Availability ?

I am looking at a generator that has a Yamaha MZ360 engine. I would like to get some input from those of you who service or own this engine. I think earlier model engines a few years ago had problems with the governor/ engine over-speed and fuel delivery. Have the later model years been reliable and have good parts availability?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-24-17, 10:18 PM   #2  
Hopefully someone here has some experience with that motor. I have none. Most of the yamahas I see around here are boat and cycle motors.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-25-17, 05:40 AM   #3  
I have seen maybe two that were not on an atv, one on a generator and that number sounds right. It had come loose internally and the customer did not want to pay to repair it.
I do know that as of October this year, Yamaha will be acquiring the OPE portion of Subaru. Bad Boy mowers are also using them on some of their mowers...

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-25-17, 03:05 PM   #4  
I checked that carcass generator it is an MZ360 on a Rigid brand gen...crank spins but piston no go up or down.
I didn't do much research for parts or support but one of our distributors is our go to for both.

I would imagine that Yamaha will have good support and parts however it will depend on what equipment it is on and who manages the warranty and service.
IE: Cub Cadet will warranty and support their entire machine, where as Husqvarna only covers their piece of the machine, engines and hydro's require going to the specific manufacturer.

Peace

NJ

09-06-17, 01:24 PM   #5  
Sounds like it could be the failed governor problem on the MZ360 on that Ridgid genset, which is the brand I am considering. From what I read they over-speed and either throw the rod or seized at the crank/rod end. But is suppose to be fixed in later models. I think for Ridgid w/Yamaha the engine support is handled by Yamaha.

Ridgid has there own branded engines on several of their gensets too. All engine parts look to be supplied through Homelite (parent) and look to be available. My concern is these Ridgid brand engines are sourced from China and over a short time might be obsolete -NLA. Any experience with Homelite parts and if they available in the long run?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

09-07-17, 04:59 PM   #6  
My knowledge of Homelite is only of older light duty residential OPE, chain saws, string trimmers, blowers etc. In their time they were decent equipment and parts readily available.

I do not know where they were based nor who acquired them if anyone.

I see plenty of equipment powered by China made engines and complete units. Scooters, Go-Carts, dirt bikes, ROV's etc. we sell many as they are cheaply priced. Many return with issues of quality control, loose bolts that wear or break parts, brake lines not secure and wear While the US distributors do offer parts and limited support (forget about any real tech giving you support however to diagnose or repair) most can not supply a parts break down only a list of photos of parts available.

Also have worked on many that power construction equipment, power trowels, plate packers, jumping jacks...etc. While they do seem to be as dependable as their copied honda's/subaru's, again the support and parts are not there. They seem to be adequate as long as they are, but once any repair is needed, time to cash it in and replace IMO.

Peace

NJ

10-03-17, 10:13 AM   #7  
How is Briggs , Kohler availability of repair manuals for newer engines ? I have heard some reports that the repair manual info is lacking on newer engines. Parts availability looks good, but seems pretty pricey which makes anything more than a basic repair not cost effective.

I guess I have taken for granted the parts and repair manuals available for my older Tec powered equipment. Although I just checked and it looks like parts prices are going up.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-03-17, 10:54 AM   #8  
Briggs and Kohler both have always been among the best at making parts and information readily available.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread