Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No spark, but still getting a shock

08-28-17, 07:57 AM   #1  
No spark, but still getting a shock

Hi guys, I'm still having problems with my Wolseley merrytiller, tried to start it yesterday, it started for a moment or two, then stopped, I checked the plug and it was giving off a yellow spark, so I put in a new plug, but then I got nothing, put the old plug back and once again nothing, I have changed from points to magnatron ignition, any ideas?,it's a 1975 tiller with a Briggs 5hp engine, thanks

Sponsored Links

IA

08-28-17, 09:06 AM   #2  
Try a spoon of gas down the plug hole. It may be fuel related

CT

08-29-17, 04:00 AM   #3  
Your description is confusing. What is meant by “still having problems”? Do you mean there were problems before changing ignition and plug that still exist or the problems started after changing ignition and/or plug. Please clarify so I can comment.

Group Moderator

NC

08-29-17, 04:40 AM   #4  
What do you mean by "still getting a shock"? Where and how are you getting this shock? Maybe the spark plug wire is bad.

08-29-17, 01:42 PM   #5  
Hi beelzebob, what I mean is I put a post on a couple of months ago regarding the tiller not starting which I thought was the carb, which I have taken off, gave it a good clean, inserted a new diaphragm, and it still did not start, so then I checked for a spark and that's where we are now, when I first changed the ignition it worked fine, but it has been standing a while, but is has fresh gas inside,
Pilot Dane , I, getting a shock when I'm holdinig the plug against the casing and pulling the starter rope, thanks for trying to help me guys

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-29-17, 05:51 PM   #6  
Usually that's a sign of a bad condenser, but if you have electronic ignition, that's not part of the equation anymore. If you are holding the plug and getting shocked, then the plug isn't going to fire because you are giving the voltage a path to ground instead of it having to jump the gap in the spark plug. Check for spark with the electrode grounded to the engine and in the dark and see what happens.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

08-29-17, 06:06 PM   #7  
You are getting a shock because you are touching the high voltage conductor part of the plug or there is a crack in the insulation and the high voltage is arcing to you hand which is in contact with some part of the engine.
Since the engine has been sitting for a time, my guess is the carb is the problem. While cleaning and replacing the diaphragm are good corrective measures, they don’t fix everything. Many 2- stroke carbs have non-replacable check valves (operate with the choke function) and when they fail, replacing the carb is the only solution. If the spark plug is not wet with gas after choking and attempting to start the engine, replace the carb.

09-03-17, 05:29 AM   #8  
hi guys, I've managed to find another carb but it is missing the fuel pick up pipe, is there a way to connect one I've seen on youtube where you can make one out of brake ling and fitting a plastic filter on the end, would this do, but can I disconnect the one on the old carb and fit it on this other one, please find pics enclosed

Attached Images

VT

09-03-17, 06:17 AM   #9  
Did someone tell you that the red one is the same casting as the plain aluminum one ?

I don't think it's the same carb . . . . might work; but there are differences.

IA

09-03-17, 06:18 AM   #10  
I wouldn't count on the replacement being in better shape than the one you have now.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-17, 12:18 PM   #11  
Me either. Did you ever verify spark?

God bless!

09-03-17, 12:50 PM   #12  
Yes I had it running Friday, by dropping a drop of petrol in the top of the carb, all be it while the petrol was burned off, so it does seem like a fuel problem?, but unfortunately l'm at a loss what else to do, unless anyone has got any more ideas

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-17, 10:26 PM   #13  
Yeah, sounds like a fuel problem. Judging by the looks of it, I would work on cleaning that original carb more. Also, take a look at the tank. There is a small cup where the short pickup tube goes. Make sure there are no rust holes in it. If there are holes in it, it won't start or run.

God bless!

09-04-17, 03:40 AM   #14  
Thanks cheese, i will take a look at the tank, but it will not be before the weekend, i will keep you updated

CT

09-04-17, 05:35 AM   #15  
What diaphragm did you replace?

09-10-17, 10:24 AM   #16  
I changed the diaphragm on the other side of the carb, which is not shown in the picture, one other thing can you dismantle the two drop down fuel pipes from the carb, or are they attached permantly?

Search this Thread