Verifying governor settings for generator

Old 08-30-17, 09:22 AM
Verifying governor settings for generator

I recently purchased a used generator from my friend's widow. I know he made some modifications but I don't remember all the details. I know he disconnected neutral and frame bonding so the generator could be connected to an electrical panel through an interlock. He also replaced the 240V outlet with a twist lock. I was able to compare the generator wiring diagram with the actual and think it's correct for this purpose (but unsafe for just running the generator out in the field).

I think he also replaced the motor. The generator is a DeVilbiss GB5000-1. The new engine is a B&S 10HP 205437-0174-e1. I'm not sure what model engine was originally specified. It's clear that changes were made: the generator manual doesn't indicate electric-start, but both the wiring and the -7 in the model number indicate electric start. Also many controls and switches seem to be in the wrong place. For example there's a hole for a fuel cutoff on the panel, but the fuel cutoff is part of the hose assembly just below the tank.

I'm concerned if this model engine was ever intended to run a generator. Generators are usually governed to stay close to 3600 rpm. If the engine was intended for a snow blower, it might be governed/regulated for different speeds. Is there any way to check. I can certainly power it up and check electrical output with a meter (voltage and frequency), but I'm wondering if there are ways to check visually/mechanically.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-17, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Checking the voltage and frequency is the best way to see if the speed is correct.