Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs 10hp updraft flo jet linkage correct ?

09-03-17, 08:57 PM   #1  
Briggs 10hp updraft flo jet linkage correct ?

Hello,
I have a used/new to me log splitter with a Briggs 10hp IC model 221432 updraft flo jet carb that I am not sure has the correct throttle and governer linkage installed by the previous owner, and I am looking for help. It starts on the first pull, idles fine but when I advance the throttle the engine jumps to wide open throttle (WOT), no in between. I can control the throttle valve manually thru all RPMs, there is no binding. I notice at idle the governor spring is fully extended (I can even split wood at idle and the governor will kick in under load) however when I advance the throttle, the resulting action is there is no longer tension on the governor spring what so ever (resulting in the WOT?) I have looked up the official Brings "control assembly" diagram but with the different configurations of my model, I am not entirely sure which parts apply and which do not.I will attempt to post photos, please let me know if I can provide further information please let me know, thank you in advance for your time!

View of spring at idle, full tension. View of governor spring at full throttle, no tension?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-17, 10:48 PM   #2  
Yeah, something is wrong... when there is tension on that spring, it should rev, not slow down or idle. It's working opposite of what it should. It looks like someone bent the tab where the spring connects outwards to increase tension. That will cause it to overspeed a bit once you do get it connected so that it revs with spring tension.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread