Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

nocking noise

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-04-01, 05:57 PM   #1  
I have a Briggs & Stratton 4 cycle 8 Horsepower engine that ran out of oil but luckly did not lockup but now when you turn the flywheel it has a nocking noise I was wondering it any of you know what might be causing this noise so that way when I tear it apart I know what to look for.

Thanks
Robert J. Planansky

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-04-01, 08:47 PM   #2  
Hello Robert and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

There are several possibilities that may be the cause of the noise. What to check for could be outside the engine but not likely. It's worth a check prior to tearing the engine down. Also check the crankshafts external end for freeplay. The noise could be the end bearing tapping.

Most likely the knocking noise is the connecting rod bearing. It may have too much free play between the rod bearing to crankshaft journal.

Another place to check is the pistons wrist pin. There could also be too much free play there.

There could be too much free play between the cam and the valve stems.

All these places may also have normal wear but the running without oil drastically increased the wear in one already weak spot.

If the noise isn't too bad and can be determined to be inside the engine, run the engine until the noise is louder, then tear it down or replace the engine.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Search this Thread