Self propelled lawn mower problem

Old 09-11-17, 08:59 AM
Self propelled lawn mower problem

Morning all. I have a Toro self propelled lawn mower approx 10 years old and have had no real problems with it. I purchase a similar 6.5 hp Toro the other day from a garage sale and starts and operates normally except for the self propelled function. It feels like it wants to propel but it grabs and slips sounding like gears are chewed up or something. Seems to be in good overall condition and am wounding if the self propelled part of is serviceable. The belt turns the axle part when pushing on the actuator part but on inspection there is slippage in the axle and the wheels are not grabbing correctly as my other Toro does. Any suggestions please....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-17, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it have the teeth on the inside of the front wheels? If so, they are prone to getting stripped - you need to replace the wheels.

Old 09-11-17, 10:03 AM
They have teeth but of different lengths, will compare with my other mower.
What about the axle, the shafts spin quite freely?

Old 09-11-17, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know a lot about the self propelled mowers but my stepson had both a Toro and Craftsman that chewed up the teeth on the front wheels. I had to replace them every 2 yrs, sometimes sooner. The teeth are plastic and get worn down easy.

Old 09-11-17, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They have teeth but of different lengths
All the teeth should be the same height and uniform, you need to replace the wheels.